PMR and cold weather

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have PMR and I noticed last night woke up with joint pain and muscle pain and was cold because of temperature change. Walking around this morning helped. Does anyone else get this with the weather change?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I'm worse with damp and wind. If it is dry heat or cold I'm fine.

The Germans have a bio weather forecast - because they have taken the effect of weather conditions on various conditions seriously for years. There was a study done in the UK a couple of years ago that came to the same conclusion:

"A 2014 study of people with osteoarthritis (OA) published in BMC Musculoskeletal Disordersasked participants if and how weather influenced their pain. Of the 712 people who answered the survey, 469 (67%) said they were weather sensitive. It turns out that weather-sensitive people with OA experience more joint pain overall than their non-weather-sensitive counterparts.

A 2011 article published in European Journal of Pain found similar results in people with rheumatoid arthritis (RA). The researchers looked at nine previously published studies of people with RA and concluded “pain in some individuals is more affected by the weather than in others, and that patients react in different ways to the weather.”" 

Google "does weather affect arthritis" to find loads of links.

• Posted

paula, cold and damp effects all kinds of conditions. We moved here in the high desert because our daughter had failed back surgery. The doctors in Boston believed a drier climate would help her and it has. Think positive. 🙂

• Posted

yes it does , cold makes harder  and stiffness is more pronounced. So what do you do to compensate for it? I make sure that I do some activities that gets the blood going and also dress appropriately when I am just sitting or laying down. I do put extra cover over night as well. 
    • Posted

Thank you nick Iam doing the same thing I do wear socks to bed and heavy PJ's and it works. Thank you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.