PMR and low BP

Posted , 11 users are following.

I was wondering...anybody else with PMR experience low blood pressure while taking prednisone? Mine has dropped considerably. too low feel tired. I usually have an elevated bp and I take bp meds. Been on Prednisone for 3 weeks 10ml. Don't mean to wimp but this is scaring me.

2 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

yes I to had to reduce my Hypertension tabs by half - thank goodness

• Posted

Thanks so much it scared me as I had read it would raise your BP. Will have to talk to my GP.
    • Posted

Oh I wanted to tell you...I will be seeing a Rhuemy the 29th of the month. Don't think Pred is strong enough stiill have lots of shoulder pain most of the day.
  • Posted

I think this is one good thing about taking prednisone for PMR.  My blood pressure is much better than it used to be.

I would not worry about it.

• Posted

Interesting, my moderately high blood pessure sky-rocketed with prednisone!  This resulted in going from taking a low dose diuretic to taking 2 different BP meds at fairly high dose to control things.
  • Posted

Phyllis, feeling "tired" is probably more due to both the inflammation of PMR and the steroids than the low blood pressure.  How low?  If very low, I would have thought you would be feeling light-headed.  Worth gettig it checked by the GP - if too low, she will probably reduce your medication.

Usually it is high BP that is noted as a side effect of steroid treatment, but it's interesting reading the replies here with experience of the opposite.  My BP has always leaned towards being on the high side but it has gone sky high since coming off steroids!

• Posted

This is all very interesting.  My BP used to be high (190/100) even with taking tablets.  It's now 135/85.  It never occured to me it was the Pred reducing it.
    • Posted

Phyllis, defiitely get it checked with the GP - 95/58 is very low.  I hope you feel better soon.
    • Posted

Constance, yes it's very intriguing reading this thread.  Wish I knew what the magic ingredient is in Pred that might be reducing BP for people - perhaps I could bottle it as my BP is also uncontrolled by BP medication, well at least those that don't give me horrid side effects. 
    • Posted

Just explained it in anothr post MrsO - the inflammation in PMR/GCA will narrow the arteries, narrowed arteries leads to increased blood pressure. The pred reduces the inflammation, the arteries return to their normal diameter and the raised blood pressure falls as a result.
    • Posted

Eileen, thank you!  But knowing how awkward my body is, perhaps my arteries have narrowed since coming off steroids!
    • Posted

Weird though how Pred can cause hypertension in some whilst causing hypotension in others.  Vive la difference!
    • Posted

I do wonder about your adrenals - have they looked closely at them? Like CT closely?
    • Posted

I haven't had a CT scan for years, just an ultrasound about a year ago on the bladder.  The radiographer did remark on the fact that I had a kidney missing but I doubt the ultrasound would have given too clear a picture of the remaining kidney.  As the adrenal glands are attached to the kidney, I have often wondered whether the gland might have been removed along with the kidney.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.