PMR AND lower severe back pain ??

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi all, Ihope everyone is doing better.

My follow up from last mail, I have been on the 40mg of Pred now for 2 weeks, the Dr wanted me to take for 4 weeks, so half way there.

I was told I had PMR about 2 months ago, started on 20 mg Pred then when I got symptoms of GCA they put me on the 40mg a day.

My top half symptoms and hips and pain have eased, also no more temple headaches and sore scap. GCA . so it seems to be working for that.

My problems has been for about 3 weeks severe lower back pain, ( both sides of the gluteus maximus ) I can't stand more than 10 mins, or bend over even my bed. The spasm hit hard and I have to sit or lay down until they ease which is usually within a few minutes, but as soon as I get up within 10 mins they are back. Even standing at the kitchen sink I have to bend forward to ease pain. I have had a xray on my hips, all ok. I have had physio, and last week even had my 1st Bowen Therapy, which helped a little, and am going to try again next week. I do not want to take any strong pain meds for my back with all my other meds.

I can't walk more than 15 mins, and going crazy.

My question is" ? has anyone else experienced severe lower back pain while with PMR and taking the Pred? I would think if it was part of the PMR that the Pred would help also with that pain.? I also have Ostero Arthritis, but that seems to be under control.

My Physio thinks it's tense muscles, but working on them has not helped me much. 

I am seeing my Dr next week and will ask for further investigation, maybe MRI, SCAN, XRAY whatever they do.  

I would appreciate any feedback to my question.

Cheers Dea

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I really thought everyone was was almost pain free after prednisone treatment

My back pain is so unbearable at times

I do have medical weed but forgot about it

I usually ice it and stretch. We're definitely not alone in this disease ??

• Posted

Hi Denise, I am still on the Pred treatment. did you have a bad back before the PMR and pred? 

I hope you are feeling better with it soon...

Cheers Dea

• Posted

Hi Dea yes I've always had back issues

But when I first started prednisone I felt so much relief but now it seems like it's not working as well I'm on a high dosage and have not lowered it Sometimes I get so discouraged

• Posted

Has your physio tried "dry needling"?  That is a technique, not acupuncture although I think it uses similar needles, which aims to reset the electrical supply (or something, not sure of the right expression) in spasmed muscles.  Not all physios will be trained in it, but it may be worth seeking out.

When I started physio during the winter I was given this as part of my treatment.  Recently I asked my therapist if she noticed any difference in my back.  She said when I started the muscles in my back were like bricks, but now they have a much more normal "tone".

• Posted

My calves were like bricks last Fall and I had the dry needling...just one time..WOW...calves have not gotten that tight again, as log as I stretch!
    • Posted

Hi, Thnaks for the reply. I had acupuncture which helped also for some time, but seems to come back again. My Physio also said I was like very tight when they started. I am at the moment getting a Holistic Treatment called Bowen Therapy which alines the body: So I will see how that works. She was concerned me being on the 40mg Pred a day for it to work sooner than later. But worth a try.

I hope you feel better soon.

Cheers Dea

• Posted

Thanks, Dea.  I've been pretty good lately, although the last few days I feel my neck has been really tense and tight.  Fortunately I've an appointment on Tuesday, so can look forward to some relief.  The one time she did dry needling on my neck I started weeping, not so much from pain (it's only brief pinpricks after all) but it must have triggered some sort of nervous reaction.  It was ridiculous.  But I note she's not suggested it again.  Think I need it.  Will bring extra kleenex with me! redface

• Posted

Yes, I am the same, it has been so bad at times, that I went to the doctor and she gave me a steroid injection, which didn`t help at all...I even have to be careful what type of chair I sit in, because that can make it much worse, my grand-daughter commented the other day that I never look relaxed because I alway have to sit upright...it`s horrible for all of us.....it never fails to amaze me the symptoms and side effects of PMR and pred....what a lot we have to put up with!!.

Eileen has often mentioned bursitis (I think?) maybe this is it.....sure she will put me right if I am wrong!

At least we can all moan togetherrolleyes

• Posted

I had some lower back pain in the early days and then someone said - You are walking rather strange, like an old man - I realised I had changed my stance and was walking like a duck, and bend forward, so I tried walking but concentrating on standing upright (can take a few days) and over a short period I found relief.  Might be a change like mine when different muscles are used or in a different way?
    • Posted

Thanks for your information, you may be right, I do feel like my walk has changed, and the fact I'm not doing enough of it because of the pain. I will give this a try.

Cheers Dea

• Posted

That's one reason Nordic walking helps - makes you stand up straight again!

• Posted

Hello dea13'

reading your post was exactly like I was two years ago. I was in constant pain and my back was the worst. Making my bed, standing, walking and even sitting was terrible. Now I am mostly pain free, except when I make my bed, and stand for any length of time . I am down to 5mg of pred now. Every now and then I do still get pain but not nearly so often and not so severe or long lasting. When I was first diagnoised I thought that I would have to give up work, as I was in constant pain 24/7. I still have a rest in the afternoons if I am able.  I watch what I eat and am slowly getting back to walking and doing light exercise. I was 48 when first diagnoised.

I hope that this gives you some hope that things can get better, as at times it feels that it won't. Cheers Fiona  

• Posted

Hi Fiona, so happy to hear you are better, but 2 years of back pain sounds so bad. Did you have Physio etc?  How you worked I just don't know, you deserve a medal :

I hope my muscle spasms do get better and that I can stand longer and walk longer... Thank you for the encentive : Cheers Dea 

• Posted

Hi Dea13

I have never been to physio or any other person other than my GP. He advised me every step of the way Starting with no exercise lots of rest to little gentle exercise and less rest and go with your body and how you feel. I am so glad he is my GP after reading some of the posts on this site. I have  great people who I work with and they are very understanding and I have been able to adjust my work load accordingly. Some days are harder than others but I am also very determined and I was never going to let this beat me.  

I find really hot showers get me going in the morning, I have changed a lot in my diet through trial and error. 

Most importantly if my pain was bad I just left things to do at a later date and believe me they did wait.  

Time is so important in PMR 

I hope that your back settles and you get some relief. Remember baby steps and lots of rest.

Cheers Fiona 

• Posted

Thanks Fiona, great advice: I thought I was going to beat this in a few months but now have come to terms it's long term life changing, SO BIG GIRL PANTS smile  I don't know how you still work, I am retired so it's easier for me. But you are right, if the work does not get done, it's not the end of the world for us. I also have a loving daughter who comes over and helps with my floors etc....  Good Luck

Cheers Dea 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.