PMR AND lower severe back pain ??

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi all, Ihope everyone is doing better.

My follow up from last mail, I have been on the 40mg of Pred now for 2 weeks, the Dr wanted me to take for 4 weeks, so half way there.

I was told I had PMR about 2 months ago, started on 20 mg Pred then when I got symptoms of GCA they put me on the 40mg a day.

My top half symptoms and hips and pain have eased, also no more temple headaches and sore scap. GCA . so it seems to be working for that.

My problems has been for about 3 weeks severe lower back pain, ( both sides of the gluteus maximus ) I can't stand more than 10 mins, or bend over even my bed. The spasm hit hard and I have to sit or lay down until they ease which is usually within a few minutes, but as soon as I get up within 10 mins they are back. Even standing at the kitchen sink I have to bend forward to ease pain. I have had a xray on my hips, all ok. I have had physio, and last week even had my 1st Bowen Therapy, which helped a little, and am going to try again next week. I do not want to take any strong pain meds for my back with all my other meds.

I can't walk more than 15 mins, and going crazy.

My question is" ? has anyone else experienced severe lower back pain while with PMR and taking the Pred? I would think if it was part of the PMR that the Pred would help also with that pain.? I also have Ostero Arthritis, but that seems to be under control.

My Physio thinks it's tense muscles, but working on them has not helped me much. 

I am seeing my Dr next week and will ask for further investigation, maybe MRI, SCAN, XRAY whatever they do.  

I would appreciate any feedback to my question.

Cheers Dea

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I'm currently experiencing my third episode and am seeing the physio person again. My weak area is left side piriformis (includes left lower back area). The second time I had this my physio gave me about 6 gentle stretches/yoga poses to do to help avoid a recurrence. I did them until I was completely healed and then of course quit.....bad decision. 

So so I wanted to suggest that when you are eventually diagnosed, ask them for exercises you can do for your specific muscle issue. We have enough to deal with without additional pain in our back!

• Posted

Hi, after about three years of PMR I also developed severe lower back pain which felt like sciatica and could barely walk about. I had physio - no luck, then I tried bowen technique which really helped. My practitioner also suggested a series of exercises which are basically a warm up for kundalini yoga practice. I do these regularly and they really help as my back feels OK now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.