Pmr and more boring bronchitis

Posted , 5 users are following.

I came down with bronchitis and ruptured eardrum 10 days ago, took antibiotics for a week and went up on pred to 10 mg for 5 days. cant see ent for another week. no fever, no chills, etc. after i finished the 10 mg pred on sunday, i dropped back to five-ish which is where i am at the end of the dsns cycle.

today i am weak, congested, miserable all over. lightheaded and dizzy from the ear problem (ongoing since the onset of the bronchitis). so: should i increase the pred again? if so, to what level and for how long? Or should i tough it out until the ent appointment next friday? I understand that you cant treat bronchitis and ruptured eardrums with pred, but i felt a lot better the past few days than i do today. i actually walked a little and sat outside for awhile the past few days; today i can barely get around. not pmr pain and stiffness, rather tight chest, miserable. thanks.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I think you do need a bit more - the body needs more corticosteroid when it is ill and I think just 5 days of 10mg simply wasn't enough. You don't get rid of the effects os chest infections that quickly. Maybe 7.5mg is enough?

• Posted

yippee!!! 7.5 for how long, do you think?

• Posted

I'd say until you are feeling notably better. What might your doc say?

• Posted

Hes a gp who probably would let me adjust as i see fit. hes given me free reign with dsns (which of course he never heard of until i came along). i suspect that i might be more well versed in the ups and downs and ins and outs of pmr than he is. i am grateful for his support.

• Posted

Cant you ring your rhemy clinic and ask for advise ,I find now if I have a problem this is what I do,usually they ring me back with advice

• Posted

hahaha. first i dont have a rheumie, i have a gp who is wonderful and quite willing to let me guide my pred as my symptoms indicate. i get the most helpful advice from this board, dont know where i would be without it.

• Posted

Have you tried a decongestant?

• Posted

Yes, decongestant, antibiotics, etc. all the typical stuff they give you for bronchitis. people in my complex have had it since january. its nasty stuff. one man said yesterday hes on his 37th day. i just got it about 10 days ago, everyone says i have a ling ways to go. ive been flattened by it.

• Posted

I'm so sorry. Guess you can only ride it out. Lots of fluids and plenty of rest.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.