pmr and post menapausal bleeding

Posted , 9 users are following.

has anyone had post menapausal   bleeding   while on pred.    i have had  it for 4 weeks.  hopeing   it will go on its own.  but now   been   for  swabs which are  clear.   had   a smear test   clear. and urine clear.  so i have now  to go for pelvic scan.    rather worrying.. i have had to up my pred from 2mg    to  4mg  due to a flare  i think    6 years  on and  pmr still with me  grrrrrrrrr

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Not every physical problem comes from pred. You are smart to investigate further. At age 62 I had that and it was a precancerous condition called endometrial hyperplasia. I had taken HRT for many years- even "bio identical".  No advantage to bio identical because a hormone is a hormone. 

• Posted

That is good that you are going for a pelvic scan,Pauline,with postmenopausal bleeding. Best of luck with that.

• Posted

Didn't have that problem but did have the most horrendous nose bleeds for the first time in my life and which have never happened since. 

Given that we know that Pred thins the skin might it account for fragility elsewhere?

Hope the scan gives you peace of mind.

• Posted

betty i did read on google  thining  the skin around uterus does sometimes accure as we get older  maybe thats it hopefully x

• Posted

The pred gave me horrendous nose bleeds too, so bad I had to go to A&E.  The GP and rheumy said it was a very unusual side effect.  I also had styes under the eyelids and palpitations but everything disappeared once I had dropped to 12mg.

• Posted

Fingers crossed there is a simple answer! Do you use any herbal stuff that could cause it?
  • Posted

thanks all for your replys xx

• Posted

Curiously, pregnant women are advised not to take celery seed or celery extract as it can cause uterine bleeding and contractions.  I took dong quai for a while and discovered it caused breakthrough bleeding post menopause.  No issues at all since I stopped taking it twenty years ago.
    • Posted

thanks for that anhaga   didnt know that     there i am trying to be healthy and doing more harm than good.

so stopping  them 

• Posted

Well it doesn't necessarily mean your supplement has caused it, I didn't find anything about post menopausal effects.  But it would be good if this is the simple solution to your problem. wink

• Posted

hi anhaga   went for examination   all clear  on my bits,   but still cannot  find where the bleed is  so got to go  for  hysteroscopy   in  2 weeks so we will see what happens then.   but no sign of the dreaded  c word    thank goodness 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.