PMR and Rotator Cuff Syndrome - anyone else experienced this?

Posted , 14 users are following.

I've had problems with lifting my right arm ever since I was diagnosed 2 years ago, but in the last couple of months my shoulder and upper arm muscles have got really painful, and keep me awake at night. I've been going to a sports physio who gives me exercises and manipulates and massages it, and my range of movement has improved but not the painfulness. I try not to use it too much, but that is difficult - I've tried upping my pred dose from 6 to 7.5 which was my last 'happy' dose for 4 days, no change. Tried stopping the exercises, no change. 2 paracetamols in the morning dull it for a little while. Has anyone else managed to find a treatment that worked for them? I'd be glad to hear of your experiences.

0 likes, 49 replies

49 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi priscilla23271

I am now off pred but i used to get painful right shoulder and upper right arm...my doctor gave me Voltarol which you rub into your arm and shoulder which did help me during the day and helped me to sleep a bit better when using t at night. You can buy in pharmacy but cheaper on script.Perhaps you should ask your rheumy for an ultrasound scan as you may be developing Bursitis which is a swollen shoulder bursa..which is an integral part of PMR...hope you get it sorted no fun getting zero sleep..m

• Posted

Thanks Mary, I have tried Voltarol, and it helped a bit... I think I will ask my physio to send me for a scan.

• Posted

Hi priscilla23271

Yes, do request a scan and if it turns out to be shoulder bursitis you will more than likely be given a cortisone injection into your shoulder. This will last approx 6-8 weeks then the pain will return. You may have another jab ...in UK they only do cortisone shots 3 times a year. The pain should go on its own 'EVENTUALLY' the time it will take to go is anyones guess, but if not it may require an op. At least you will get a good nights sleep after having the cortisone shot.....good thoughts, good wishes😊

• Posted

Has anyone done an x-ray/imaging? You could have spurs or damage causing the pain that won't be improved by exercises or you may have bursitis because of the PMR - and that may need a steroid injection to calm it down. Oral pred at low doses like you are at isn't enough - joints don't have a good blood supply.

• Posted

Thanks Eileen, the physio has suggested he sends me for an x ray or a scan...I think I will ask him next time I go.

• Posted

could be a frozen shoulder and i'm sorry to say - from experience - it can take an age to go away and may well have nothing to do with your PMR ......hope you can get some answers soon....x

• Posted

Sorry if I may be not strictly adhering to the rules of the Patient Forum. (I'm not sure if I should be starting another thread with my question, but some of the discussion in this thread has me wondering.)

Are shoulder bursae caused by, or a symptom of, PMR? I ask this question because for the last couple of weeks I have developed a steadily increasing pain in my right shoulder. I can't attribute it to any unusual activity or injury, so could it be brought about by PMR itself? I am inclined to think not because PMR symptoms seem to be bilateral, not specific to one side.

Or, is it something related to the pred taper? (Just went from 9mg to 8.5 after three weeks at 9mg.)

Or...has it got nothing to do with PMR, and I've just wasted everyone's time reading this?

• Posted

They can be yes - and while most PMR is regarded as being bilateral, it may not be even. You have been on pred for a while, it may have taken the existing bursitis down to a lower level but you have done 2 things (I bet): you have reduced your dose and done a bit much (no doubt you are right handed?). It is easy to do.

I don't care where anyone asks a question (nor do most of us) and always answer it where it is asked as that has always been the nature of this forum - but also suggest a separate post so more people see it. There are occasions when someone gives a protocol lecture about "rules" I didn't know existed. ..

• Posted

Hi Richard, I think we would all like to know whether it is PMR related, or because we've done too much while tapering, or whether long term steroids cause muscles and tendons to become weak, and so don't support the shoulder joints adequately, which is my Physio's explanation. I just can't wait to feel comfortable again! In the meantime Eileen's advice is well worth taking as she is an expert on our illness, so I'm hoping to have a scan or x-ray to see what is going on.

• Posted

I'm quite new to the forum and I don't really understand how it works - each time I reply to someone I seem to end the thread, and then I have to find another way back in again... it puts me off writing anything, which is a shame..

• Posted

Sorry - don't understand what you mean? Your post may go to the bottom of the thread simply because that is its position in order of posting.

When I click on reply and wait the post uploads and finally bounces back to show it posted in its turn on the thread. Then I can scroll up or down to read/write anything else I want on the same thread. I then go back to my email inbox to use the notification there to get to the next reply on whichever thread it is. There is also an internal notifications box at the top right of my computer screen - can't help with where it is on a phone or an ipad though.

If you want to start a new thread then scroll to the bottom of the page and on the bottom left hand corner you will see a blue box saying New Discussion.

Does that help?

• Posted

Thanks! I think the reason my replies appeared to stop a thread may just have been a coincidence. I shall be braver.

• Posted

Thank you Eileen and Priscilla. Slowly but surely this jigsaw puzzle that is PMR is coming together in my head.

• Posted

Hope there aren't too many corner pieces lying under the sideboard...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.