PMR discussion.........

Posted , 7 users are following.

GDay, everybody.........

first time on a PMR forum although i have had it for nearly 15 years.......

​I am currently on 5 mg of a morning.....unable to get under that without flare ups.......even so,, i occasionally have to bump it up for a couple of days to settle things down.......These days i totally self medicate to keep things under controll........but i am interested how foods,exercise etc affect other people.......once i close this discussion ,i hope i can find my way back on again........

​............................Billy.........................

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Next
  • Posted

From my own experience, moderate activity does help in overcoming stiffness and pain. I am not sure if it has any impact on pred dosage or reduction, but activities does help to feel closer to "normal", pre-PMR feeling.

I have not noticed and impact of food myself. Lots of people use reduced carb diet to prevent weight gain. I never had weight problem with PMR and kept pretty much the same diet, which is lots of veggies, steamed rice with some meet, mostly to add flavor to the meal.  I eat lots of fruits too.

• Posted

Thanks Nick.......

​I dont have a weight problem.....I guess any thing you put in your mouth adds weight...so i try to keep busy.........

​The things that give me hell are refined sugars (nearly impossible to get away from it ) and chocalates (definately a no no worst luck)........

I like your diet (especially the rice bit,have always liked it)

​I only have minimal amounts of cake and biccies..........

Yep..you definately have to keep mobile ..(use it or lose it sort of thing)

Thanks for the reply....

.......................Billy........................

• Posted

I found I ate like a pig (relatively speaking at least) in China and didn't put on an ounce! 

• Posted

I don't find it impossible to get away from refined sugars - chocolate doesn't bother me but I do only eat 70% or higher cocoa solids...

Everyone is different - really you have to identify what triggers problems for you and avoid it.

• Posted

Here in Aussieland everything is heavily laced with sugar ,so i have to read the ingreadents to minimise it............

​Yep, over the years i have sorted out the problem areas to keep away from..

Whether i ever get below 5mg daily remains to be seen........

I take Fozamax to increase bone density..which is OK

​I really dont think pred has had any bad effects ,other than more skin bruising........hopefully.......

......................Billy........................

• Posted

If it is in a package I probably don't buy it... I buy raw ingredients and produce meals - that way I know what is in it!

But yes - I discovered some strange things in food in Aussieland! Like wheat in risotto! It was a middle of the range restaurant at Uluru and the prices suggested it should be a reasonable Italian. I'm allergic to something in the structure of modern wheat starch - so pasta was out since there was no gluten-free option and risotto seemed a safe bet. No! Next day in the store there I found a package of "just add water" risotto - containing wheat! There is NO justification for wheat in risotto. And a low carb blog gave a recipe for bolognaise sauce - with an excuse for adding SUGAR! I hve never added sugar ...

• Posted

Hi BillyP, well my journey with PMR is just starting, just had first flare up. My am trying to learn all I can, I am always sure that I will beat this damn PMR. I have learned more on this forum than anyplace else, hung we will learn together.
    • Posted

Um - then one more lesson: you will not beat PMR, whatever you think you can do to trick it it will bite back. You have to accommodate it and learn to live with it. Eventually you learn how to rub along together pretty well.

Google gorilla in the house by batsgirl. 

• Posted

I will, I may not beat it and may have to learn to live with it, but I going to give it a damn good try. Learning a little more each and every day.. Thanks again for your help and wisdom.
    • Posted

No, EileenH I do not, should I look it up or will you tell me?
    • Posted

He was a king whose courtiers were sure he could command everything to obey him. So he placed his throne on the beach and commanded the tide not to advance to where he sat. Of course it continued and his feet got wet. PMR is like the tide...
    • Posted

I see said the blind man. He sounds very much like our Trump, who I am afraid will try to fire anyone who will not obey him. I will remember King Canute, I lived with diabetes for almost 55 years, I guess PMR will have to be lived with also, want to ride my bike and ski these mountains. Good to be alive!
    • Posted

EileenH, the warm NM sun came out had a nice walk around the town pond. Feeling good. Thank God!
    • Posted

Sun and warmth help.  But Eileen is right.  You can't fight an incurable autoimmune disorder.  You just learn to get along, and encourage it to stay in its cage so you can enjoy life.  cool

• Posted

GDay Mich......Yep it mostly is a long road.....for me it took a few months

for my Doc to decide why i couldnt get out of bed in the morning.....

​When all tests showed nothing......then a big dose of Pred fixed it up,,he said looks like you have PMR......As i understand there is no specific test for PMR......there is no specific cure for PMR...how it starts and what it is all about remains mostly  a mystery.....in laymans terms i suppose you could call it arthritis of the muscles (for want of a better term )..........

Just be guided by your Rhuemy.and your own ideas etc...

Talking to as many people......reading as much as you can ....then sift the wheat from the straw type of thing....bearing in mind most people react differently.......that is the nature of the beast..........

.......Best of luck..............Billy...................

• Posted

The point about Canute really was that HE knew he couldn't change things - it was the courtiers who thought he was a god and could change the laws of physics to obey him.

Exactly - it's the same thing. Your diabetes isn't going to ride off into the sunset so you accommodate to manage it. Same with PMR. Bike riding and skiing is still an option - if you go about it the right way.

BillyP seems to have got the idea too!

• Posted

Thanks EileenH, I see what you mean. Unlike Trump, the king was wise. And you are correct I must learn manage my PMR, like I do my diabetes. The doctors here never mentioned that this is or could be a life long condition. I knew that diabetes was, my father was a diabetic. So I mentally was take my meds, get over this damn thing, move on. I did not know you could get a flare up. I really did not understand. But I must say my Rheumatologist did not communicate very well either. I am thinking of looking into another in Santa Fe as she the only one currently here.

Thanks again for your wisdom and I do mean that. 🙂🙂

• Posted

Trump is certainly not wise --- he needs to grow up, but this is unlikely to happen at his age.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.