PMR & GCA

Posted , 13 users are following.

It turns out my fever and chills are not just a flu. Had my levels checked yesterday and got the dreaded call from the Rheumy today notifying me that they are sky high on 20 mg of Prednisone. He increased it to 50mg and have to recheck levels on Monday. Said without a doubt that because I haven't responded to 20mg I also have GCA but that a biopsy would probably be a false negative now because of the Prednisone. So here I sit frustrated and angry because if the first rhuemy in Sept had not brushed this off because of my age, who knows I mightened be a sufferer of both conditions today. Thank God for the wonderful Rheumy I have now. Even gave me his cell number because He is concerned. Now that's what I call service. Koodos to the Kaye Clinic in Edmonton.

3 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Kimberly, thank goodness you are now under the care of a good rheumy.

I was finally diagnosed with GCA at the end of last year, following several visits to GP, who kept misdiagnosing me, even though I told her I had had PMR for nearly 5 years.

I've been up and down on the Pred since then due to bad flares, probably caused by too fast tapering. I'm due to start methotrexate soon, just awaiting new rheumy' s call once he has looked at my tests. Not something I'm looking forward to, but he can see no other option at the moment. I've been on high doses of Pred for too long.

I wish you luck on your new journey. And - rest as much as you can.

• Posted

Sorry to hear of your struggle to gain diagnosis and treatment. I wish you luck with the Methotrexate.Might be a road I'll have to go down as well though I don't really want to. Thanks for your well wishes. Hugs

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.