PMR. On large dose of Prednisdone. Trying to lower dose.

Posted , 9 users are following.

I diagnosed my PMR after many flares. My GP did not know how to treat me when my Sed rate came back at 58. CRP in normal range. Called prescription of Prednisdone: 60 mg one week, 40 next week, 20 following week. I knew that was not the way to treat it. 60 did not relieve symptoms , so I increased to 80. I know that was not the way to go but felt my GP didn't have a clue.

I have now been to a rheumatologist who changed my prescription to Methylprenisdone 16 mg tablets. I was instructed to take 48 mg. daily. I had reduced my 80 mg to 75mg before seeing him. I felt that was too fast. I started at 54 mg. daily. Was down to 40 but went back 48 mg.

My question: what is the difference in regular Prednisdone and Methylprenisdone? Has anybody taken both and noticed any difference except Methylprenisdone is very much more expensive?

By the way my "rhemey" thinks PMR last for 2 years only and since I have had this since sometime 2014. I should be phasing out of this. What say you all? From what I read I don't think he's got a clue either. I feel sometime I'm surrounded be idiots. Might be time to find a new rhumatologist.

I'll give this guy another visit as scheduled.

1 like, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Eileen is our top advisor. What she doesn't know about PMR isn't worth knowing.

I am just astonished that you probably had to pay a doctor for such dangerous advice.

Thank God for the NHS.

• Posted

I wish 2 years was for sure for this to go away.   I've been diagnosed for

about a hear and a half.  I have a friend (old high school chum) that has been on pred for 5 years with brief breaks when she went off only to have to go back on again.  I'm with some who think that we just hope for something close to remission.    Maybe have to take some hopefully

low dose for years.  I also am across the big pond in FL.  I trust

my primary guy more than the rheumy he first sent me to.  I think

my doc knows a little more because he treated an aunt in Canada

that had PMR and managed to get off pred for good.  Hope he can

work that magic with me....

• Posted

I am in North Central Floida. What part of Florida are you in? I am willing to travel to find a good doctor. I am no longer associated with my GP now, having lost faith in him.
    • Posted

No doctor can work any magic to get rid of PMR - it will go into remission when it wants to and there is nothing we know of that can change that.

What I can say is that if you are allowed to use pred properly to manage the symptoms it is possible to have a decent quality of life - at present I'm living a pretty normal life for someone in their mid-60s. I have next to no pain and I feel well. I've just done a 3 week trip to China with no problems at all - doing a full day sightseeing along with the others. I was home for a week and set off for the UK and drove 2,700 miles in 16 days. No problems at all there either. Now I'm just waiting for appointments to be dispensed with and weather forecast to look promising to head of for a proper holiday...

• Posted

I live in Titusville.....I wouldn't really recommend coming here..

My Primary is part of a walk in clinic and hard to get in to see.

An appt takes about 3-4 weeks or you can go as walk-in and

have to wait a looonnnggg time.  I've had problems just  trying

to find someone that has PMR that I could talk to about it.  My doc

has one guy that has the GCA which I hope to God I don't

get. Most people that you ask if they've ever heard of PMR

say no.   I had never heard of it until it showed up on my doorstep.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.