PMR or Rheumatoid Arthritis??

Posted , 14 users are following.

I was just wondering if anyone else had been diagnoised with PMR and then been told it has possibly moved into Rheumatoid Arthritis.  It's been four months since I was diagnoised with PMR by my Rheumatologist on November 24, 2014.

To recap: I had all the classic symptoms of PMR the end of September, 2014 with shoulder pain and stiffness, couldn't raise my arms over my head, took two hands to hold a cup of tea, severe pain and stiffness in the backs of my legs to the point I couldn't sit, could barely walk at times or get up from a sitting position, or out of bed, etc. and the only thing that helped was prednisone. I went through tons of labs and blood work, x-rays, worked with my internist, saw a neurologist, and finally the rheumatologist in November 2014 which resulted in the diagnosis.  I was put on four infusions of prednisone in December, then started at 20 mg. daily of prednisone and 10 mg, of methotrexate.

I'm currently at 12&1/2 mg. of prednisone and 20 mg. of methotrexate daily and doing really well at the moment with the pain and stiffness gone for now and only dealing with the fatigue. At my check up with the Rheumatologist on Monday she told me that she thought due to the lab work, etc.in late February she felt that I was really leaning more to Rheumatoid Arthritis than PMR. I see her again in two months when they will do more blood work. I  just wondered if this had happened to anyone else here.  Any information about the differences in the two, deciding factors for diagnosis, etc. will be greatly appreciated.  I know nothing about RA and was just starting to somewhat understand PMR.  I was tested for RA in the early testing last October, but no positive results at that time.

Thanks for your help!!

2 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I've been told that I probably have PMR-induced seronegative inflammatory arthritis after being on prednisolone for 2.5 years. I had no rheumatoid factors in my bloods - hence seronegative. This was diagnosed when I changed hospitals. I have yet to start on methotrexate and want to talk to the consultant more about the diagnosis. But then my initial diagnosis of PMR was always in question and my symptoms now do seem totally in line with inflammatory arthritis. The consultant says that it is not as damaging as rheumatoid arthritis - just "a bit of a nuisance"
  • Posted

yes connie , but they tell me itss still the after affects of p m r , , i dont think they know much about either problem lol really they do know about the uric acid causing the cristelisation , in the joints but nothing about the pmr , , i try to watch what i eat so the rhumy  doesnt play up but i too still have so much pain at night , i have trouble even pushing the button in the toilet lol and to dry myself after a shower i now wrap myself up in a toweling dressing gown to dry myself , im having trouble now just useing this keyboard , ,, shoulder pain , we are a sorry lot hey lol but keep your spirits up , there will be a light at the end of the tunnel im sure i dont take any steroids now , 
  • Posted

I was originally diagnosed with PMR, it was only after seeing a Rheumatologist that the diagnosis was changed to RA.   I think it worthwhile remembering it is simply a guessing game based on presenting symptoms and response to treatments.   Neither condition is fully understood in terms of cause, treatment or effect!
  • Posted

Hi Connie -if you are still visiting this page-what did they finally decide you had PMR or RA- I would love to know as my situation sounds similar

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.