PMR, Prednisone, Fatigue

Posted , 4 users are following.

i am 3+ years into PMR. About a month ago I was attempting a DSNS taper from 7-1/2m to 7m. Barely got into the second week and I flared. I went up to 9m for several days, then down to 8m...thought I had caught the flare, judging from the pain. I have stayed at 8m now for 2+ weeks, cut way down on activity but I wake up with more pain and I am totally fatigued. This has not happened to me before. Typically I catch the flare & stabilize.

Did I not go high enough to catch the flare?...should I up the dose u til the pain and fatigue are gone?...or wait it out, see if my adrenals catch up?

Thank you!

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

There are two reasons for flares - one is because you overshot the right dose. But sometimes the activity of the underlying autoimmune disorder increases while you are on a stable dose and you have already passed the dose that would manage it. I had a flare like that last year - had been fine on 5mg for months and months, had tried 4mg, also good, but 3.5mg wasn't. I went back to 5mg and had been there again for at least a couple of months when all of a sudden I couldn't walk up even a slight slope without gasping for breath, It was a few weeks before the typical muscle and hip pain reappeared. I needed 15mg to get it managed and it was a few months before I could reduce back to 10mg. I'm still at 6mg (only just) now over ayear on.

Are you sure you haven't got anything else going on? A UTI, a cold, been doing more than usual?

• Posted

I think what you describe is what is happening to me. I think I will go to 9m for a couple of days and see how I feel...?? If anything I feel I have reduced my activity level too much...no tennis..no golf..no glass of wine!

Stress level is always a variable for me. I do not think I have anything else going on. I need to accept the fact that, like you, I have to go to the dose I need, when I need it...then taper back down. I need the prednisone dose for quality of life...I am not so worried about the long-term effects..I seemingly don't have many side-effects from this drug. When I am "down", I am "down".

I appreciate your input, Eileen...I know how long and hard you have struggled. Without your story I would almost think there was something wrong with my prednisone medication!

• Posted

Kathy: Have you tried any curcumin supplement to control your flares and

pain. I have read good results on another support group that indicates success.

I am currenlty tapering from 20 to 15mg and I find that curcumin supplements

help control pain and stiffness.

Paul

• Posted

Thank you Paul....I have not tried curcumin...will give it a go, although I don't know if I can fit any more supplements in my pillbox😊

• Posted

Kathy, Ibteued a purified form of Curcumin before I was diagnosed. It didn't help me but I was found to be anemic for the first time. I searched the scientific literature and found Curcumin removes iron from the body and is not recommended in inflammatory diseases.

• Posted

Do check with your pharmacist or doctor before taking curcurmin/turmeric to be sure you aren't taking medications or other supplements it should not be mixed with.

• Posted

It seems almost too easy, but I find if I miss my evening cup of ginger tea (about 1 tsp grated fresh ginger brewed in boiling water for at least 15 minutes) I notice it the next day, so I think it must have some small beneficial effect.  It's in the same family as turmeric but I haven't heard of any contraindications.

• Posted

Ginger is contraindicated while taking blood thinners. It is a great remedy for dizziness and motion sickness.

It does render stomach acid blockers less effective according to the literature and my personal experience.

• Posted

Well, not good for everyone then.  Thankfully I don't have those contraindications.  

Read this on an arthritis site : "Studies: In a 2012 in vitro study, a specialized ginger extract called Eurovita Extract 77 reduced inflammatory reactions in RA synovial cells as effectively as steroids." 

• Posted

There are a few natural antiinflammatory substances that are probably not good ideas for people on anticoagulant therapy - although it will depend on the anticoagulant, warfarin derivatives are the worst for dietary problems. But the amount in foods probably isn't too bad - it is the higher doses in supplements.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.