PMR, Prednisone, pain management

Posted , 9 users are following.

3+ years of PMR, Prednisone dose is 7-1/2m daily, down from starting dose of 15. I have always known that I have some arthritis, only visible in the thumb joints. In the past several days I have had a worsening of joint pain, not necessarily PMR pain (some bicep pain when awakening), but pain all over when I stop activity...moving around, walking, tennis, etc. I have taken some Tylenol today but cannot tell if it has helped because I have to continue movement. Eventually I will have to go to bed for the night...last night was awful...woke up quite a few times in pain. Have experienced this before I believe, but not since PMR and being on prednisone for so long.

Have been @7-1/2 for about 6 weeks. Common arthritis (cool weather change?), or Rheumatoid Arthritis? Thank you😊

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I was on pred for two years.  Last dose was Dec. 2016.  I notice gradual stiffness and discomfort in my bones and muscles which continues.  I can move around, do yoga, walk, play golf without this discomfort.  BUT upon awakening, I am greeted with stiffness and muscle aches, as well as getting up after reading the paper, etc, i am always stiff and achy for a few minutes until i start moving.  When this happens i cannot help remembering older relatives seemingly dealing with similar impaired.   flexibility.  I am wondering if this could be related to my adrenals not having been fully awakened after two years on pred.
    • Posted

Think it is far more likely to be due to advancing annodomini... I don't mind temporary stiffness - it is constant pain and stiffness I couldn't bear to return to.

• Posted

Eileen, can you tell me what annodomini...is and should i go to the rheumy or my gp for some follow up
    • Posted

Age, years.

Doubt the doctor can do much about it...

• Posted

Before Pred, i had none of my current complaints.  In your experience on this blog, do you have any information that my complaints could have manifested because of 2 years on pred?
    • Posted

It is possible that you have very low activity PMR I suppose. That's what it sounds like. But you do have to bear in mind that 2 years of not being fit and active does leave its mark on anyone. It will take a long time to regain the level of fitness you had before - if you were fit that is and I'm not saying you weren't. Plus, pred is thought to accelerate the aging process somewhat in some people - hence the progression of cataracts for example. After stopping taking pred it is felt it takes a year for the body to settle down back to "normal".

But belive me - you can't "just" blame pred. Having untreated PMR is one of the most ageing things I have ever experienced! And it hurts!!!!!

• Posted

Actually, Margo, this sounds like the way I feel, the way I felt before pred (only that was much worse) and the way I feel now at a low dose of pred.  I've assumed it was PMR simmering away and willing to put up with it as I'm not disabled as I was becoming pre-pred.  Perhaps it is just age, in which case probably I should be considering weaning off pred completely sooner rather than later.  question

• Posted

I feel like i have hit a wall!  After two years on pred, and the dead slow weaning, i never expected to be left with these aches and pains.  Althought the pmr pain was much worse, what the heck, i had NO pain or discomfort before PMR hit me...wish there was something which could be fingered as causing this so i could follow up, as i did when dx with pmr.
    • Posted

Thanks, this at least gives me some hope that with diligent self care i may actually feel 'myself' within a year...

• Posted

When I complained of thumb pain to my rheumy which we both agreed it was not PMR she suggested I wear a thumb brace. And it has helped immensely as long as I wear it. As soon as I take it off then Katy bar the door. The thumb brace looks like a glove with no fingers but it has a place for the thumb to go. You should give it a try.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.