PMR &RA

Posted , 6 users are following.

Looking at my last letter from rheumatology nurse she reffered to arthritic pain as opposed to PMRpain.Do both conditions occur at same time

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Yes, they do.  Anyone with one autoimmune condition can often find that they have developed another, but why this happens isn't currently known.

I find I can distinguish between the different types of pain from my various afflictions and I've stopped counting mine!

• Posted

Are you talking about osteo arthritis or rheumatoid arthritis? RA is also an auto immune condition like PMR, while osteo is not. Sadly neither disappear if you get PMR, although you will find that the pain is different somehow. PMR tends to be bilateral also, not one sided. 
    • Posted

Unfortunately RA.My man and her mam had so everyone hoped it would skip my generation but it appears NOT
    • Posted

They say that PMR is twenty five per cent genetic which is supposed to be true of other auto immune diseases too. My mother had ME, so perhaps whatever makes our immune system turn on us is in the genes.
    • Posted

My immune system is a nightmare first excma then add on hayfever then add on asthma then add on PMR and now RA.What with last year's heart attack which has left me with alight impairment of the left ventricle life is a bundle of joy.With family history of heart problems +my dad ending up on dialysis one of the GPs at the practice before he retired said that I needed to buy a new set of relatives 😂If you did not laugh you would cry especially as we still have our adult autistic and epileptic son at home.Oh well it is said you are not given more than you can deal with but I could do with some good karma occasionally
    • Posted

It does make you realise that some of the trivia people keep complaining about is really not that important in the great scheme of things particularly when our health is concerned. As you say you have to laugh or you would cry. I like your GP's joke about new relatives, it is good that some of them do have a sense of humour. 
    • Posted

Certainly all too true you can choose your friends but not your family!!
    • Posted

I found him good and he was the one to first send me to the rheumatologist 12years ago.Some people did not like him (probably they took his dry wit the wrong way)so atleast you rarely had trouble getting an appointment with him ☺
  • Posted

Yes they can. But have you been told by a rheumatologist you have RA? I've come across a lot of rheumy nurses who aren't aware of the difference between PMR and RA: PMR is a vasculitis which causes symptoms similar to arthritis so, historically, PMR patients were referred to rheumatologists. RA actually damages the joints directly and the damage can be seen on scans and x-rays. There no joint damage in PMR.
  • Posted

Unfortunately one can have RA, Osteo arthritis and PMR, and all of these at the same time.

I was told by my Rheumy that I don't have PMR because I fell and it effected my lower back.  But also at the same time, I had muscle pain across my back, which I knew was PMR.  I was in BAD pain at the time and having to deal with high stair cases in my townhouse which I have sold in the meantime.

Just recently ONLY my right hand hurt and I could not clasp it and start the key in the car.  This is RA, which I have also, but it went away within a day.  RA is NOT as bad as PMR.

NO FUN HAVING TO DEAL WITH ALL THREE AT TIMES. Prednisone does help!

• Posted

Hi Erika,hope you are doing well.I had to come off prednisone but they are considering giving me a short course to keep me going till the methotrexate kicks in fully;my ESR has dropped 10points since they upped my dose so hope things are on the up although my knees are giving me gyp at present.
  • Posted

And don't forget the chance of 'human error'. She may have written that without thinking.....
    • Posted

I see her in person next week so will try to get a definite answer then.It will not make difference to my treatment but it would be nice to know especially as the history of the female side of the family has RA in each generation

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.