PMR Relapse

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all

I've been on the forum before.  Just briefly, i was diagnosed with PMR 4 years ago.  Started with 30 mgs and managed to come down 2 mgs.  Had a flare up this January after a bout of flu and went back up to 10mgs.  I've just returend from a long hol to Tibet /China (3 weeks, very tiring and taxing!).  I was fine there until i got back.  2 days after i got home, i started to have pain on my left leg and then my shoulder feeling really heavy. I couldnt stand up for long nor walk for long distance.  I think this is a flare up?? But i've been on 10mgs for the last 3 months without incident.  Now I am at a loss whether to go back up my Pred to ? 12.5 or 15mg, then wean myself down again .   I took ibuprofen for a couple of days, but without much help.   I would appreciate your advice to ease me from this dreadful PMR pain, which never seem to go away, and come back at will!!! 

Thank you.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi ling42044, I have not been on the forum that long. A year ago diagnosed with PMR, started 20 mg of Phed took about two weeks felt great. Reduced down 7 mg had a flare-up. 7 to 10 no help, 10 to 15 no help, 15 to 20 no help. I could not walk my wife rolled in the doctor office in a wheelchair. The Rheumy up to 30 mg, several weeks later I was able to walk without a cane. Now doing a very slowly taper, praying for no more flare-ups. See we are all very different. Hope that helps! Just got to keep smiling!
  • Posted

Last month I was quite sick and the Dr put me on 3 days of 50 mg then 30 mg for 3 days. I'll tell you I never felt better pain wise. But when I went back down to 10mg I was in agony I tried raising my dose a little bit and still hurt. Now I am back at 15 mg and I'm better.

• Posted

I wish my Rheumy had given me a large dose, instead of climbing me up to 30 a little bit at a time.
    • Posted

Climbing up slowly almost NEVER works. Far better to have a few days at a high dose and drop back fairly quickly if you can. 
    • Posted

Yes, EileenH the climb from 7 to 30 was very painful, and now the slow taper. Next time a good bump for a few days and drop back down. I am still pain free and feeling great! Thanks again 😊

• Posted

Michdonn, there may not be a "next time".  Look after yourself, go slowly and carry on with all the good things you already do for your health and perhaps things will go well for you from now on.  

• Posted

I hope so, but who knows. I ready one way or the other. I am on this diet, health life style hoping for the best. Just smiling! 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.