PMR, Seronegative RA, MCTD -What on earth do I have?

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi all, first time poster in some desperation! Thank you in advance for reading and especially for any replies.

A bit of context. I'm a 51 year old male on the UK who until recently was very active - gym everyday, cycling up mountains but I never really took care of my health - eating rubbish, too much of the party lifestyle, too much stress, but I looked and felt well. 

Anyway, and please bear with me, last year was a year of illness. First I detached a bicep muscle in the gym doing far too heavy weights, then I had a large lipoma removed (my leg is still numb from the op after 9 months) and in about November I tore a meniscus at the gym and had surgery to correct a bucket handle tear in January.

At the same time I had pain in both shoulders and after blood tests (after surgery) indicating high ESR, CRP and RDW it was suggested I might have Polymyalgia Rheumatica and I was referred to a rheumatologist. He took more blood test and no RA factor was found and anti CCP was negative. He suggested seronegative RA and put me on a course of Prednisolone 40 mg originally and I am down to 10 mg now. The pain did get better but it's not great as I write. In addition one blood test came back indicating MCTD and another was negative. Aside from pain in my shoulders and severe pain in my knee - I have no fatigue, or other symptoms associated with autoimmune. I believe I had IBS for years and now I have cut wheat from my diet and am doing all I can for my gut health. So that is the background. 

Unfortunately I have the following concerns/ symptoms and I would be grateful for any insight:

1) What do I have? My symptoms don't seem to fit any autoimmune disease precisely?

2) The surgeon is suggesting another knee op. On the original operation he found no evidence of arthritis but I worried about what an operation would, or might trigger. 

3) My shoulder and knee pain is very up and down but my knee seems to react negatively to overuse (like walking or cycling form an hour plus. It's also a little swollen.

Thank you in advance, this is getting me down.

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hey Simon.  I’m a 51yr old female and also had struggles with initial diagnosis of PMR.   Went to an orthopedic for knee pain, had had two surgery’s.  X-ray and MRI showed arthritis,  and within a week my shoulders and “glut joints “ had frozen on me.   Was sure I was dying. Orthopedic wished me luck....my primary tested me for a ton of tests and found nothing.  Three excruciating weeks later my rheumatologist diagnosed me in minutes.   I think the age is a big tripping stone.   40 mg to start, and have been cutting back for months with one major setback.    My breaking point seems to be under 12 mg.  

Have also had bad esophagus issues, maybe because of the steroids?  Just had an endoscope, and as the nurse went through my history ( IBS, thyroid probs, psoriasis, Sjogren..)  she mentioned it was a lot of autoimmune.   Never connected the dots before.   Don’t know if this is helpful, however I’ve found comfort trying to understand what PMR is and can be.

Good luck.  👍.     

• Posted

Thank you Megan. Im sorry to learn of you problems, which are a lot worse than my own.

Looking back, is there anything you would have approached differently?

• Posted

Simon,

I wish I’d taken better care of myself.  I’m sure that being in better physical health would have helped me.   Stay as strong as you can be.  

It’s easy to get frustrated and angry:   My 84 year old mom in law was diagnosed 6 yrs ago and is now on 5... went thru hell, and is now active and positive!   My inspiration.  

You’ll do great!  

• Posted

Simon,  one more thing.   Having a support system is huge.  And it can be tough on family.  That’s why I reached out to this chat.

Take care

• Posted

Hi Simon

First of all blood tests aren’t always reliable. 1 in 20 don’t show an elevated ESR - because of this and my age - 57 at diagnosis - it took 2 years and eventual reversion to the private sector - to get diagnosis. 2. Forget the sinful food element. You are fit and healthy and that’s a red herring. 3. Shoulder pain you describe sounds like PMR. Get another referral and if possible, go private. Knowing what’s wrong and dealing with it is so much better than living with the unknown. Best of luck. Chrissy 

• Posted

Simon, I am a 80 young man, living in the mountains of New Mexico. In the year before PMR I cycled 4253 miles on our mountain road. Back cycling again after two years off the bicycle. Taught skiing the past couple of seasons at two different ski areas. A year ago I was in a wheelchair. Thanks to Prednisone, the tremendous help and knowledge I have received on this forum. I lead a very active normal life with this condition, eat an anti-inflammatory diet, stay positive and try to smile. Life is good man I am in there trying to make the best of it.☺️
  • Posted

Hi Simon and other followers 

New day, new problems?.....   so thankful that walking is no longer an issue.   I never know what new pain I’m having is PMR.  Having crazy foot cramps in the middle of the night.  And now my foot/toe joints are painful.  PMR?  Possibly?  Maybe it’ll show up as inflammation in my blood work?  Ugh.

• Posted

Try a magnesium supplement for the foot cramps - pred makes you lose magnesium and calcium through the kidneys so you get low. That's why we should get calcium/vit D supplements and really they should be accompanied by magnesium. It is also the first thing GPs in mainland Europe suggest when you complain of cramps - if that doesn't work they then look further.

• Posted

Megan, I agree with EileenH, supplement with calcium, vitamin D and magnesium. Do not take them together. Do not take calcium at the same time as Prednisone. Good luck I think that will end the cramps. Think positive and try to smile. ☺️

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.