PMR - Steroid induced Raised blood sugar

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi,  

Ive been on the pMR journey for over 5 years now.  I had yoyo my dosage and had flares quite a few times.  This latest flare set me back on 15mg, but I am coming down to about 10 using the DS method.  my HBAic has shot up to 6.7, the WHO guide line for Diabetes. My doctor said i might have to be treated for Diabetes.  I am reluctant to take medication !  I am careful with my diet.   I just wondered whether i can get away in not taking Matformin and try to bring down my blood sugar below 6.7 as I am now coming down slowly with my pred. 

Any advice about steroid and raised blood sugar will be much appreciated.       thank you.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Mmm - good question Ling - I am worried about my blood sugars and cholesterol since being on Pred...have my annual diabtic tests on Thursday and I fear GP will want me to go on meds to correct it all when I believe and am convinced it is the steroids causing the increases - I have managed perfectly well for years controlling these factors and my weight with diet...I have been told that everything goes back to normal eventually after stopping pred but when you know you probably have another 9 months of weaning yourself off them - with luck and no flares to make you increase the dose again and therfore increase the timescale - then how detrimental will these increases be for that time! Catch 22....? Look forward to hearing your responses.....x
  • Posted

My blood sugar got very high when I started pred (15 mg), pre-diabetic.  It stayed a little high until my dose reduced lower but I did get it out of the bad zone simply through cutting out most carbs, especially "white" carbs like those from grains, and foods with added sugar.  People who have worse problems than I did can further reduce their risks by cutting out root vegetables and not overdoing the amount of fruit they eat.  Exercise helps, too.  

• Posted

agree 100%. One has to reduce carb intake to keep BS under control OR one has to exercise a LOT and then it does not matter how much carb you eat, its all taken care of  ( used up).  I do exercise at pretty high level, kind of like preparing for endurance event like triathlon and can tell you that I eat sweets as much as my teenager, and my blood sugar ( long term) is under 6.
    • Posted

And some of us are not in good enough condition to manage that level of exercise so watching the diet has to be our priority.  I can walk, for example, but when I try to run, which I'd like to do, I end up with back pain from the impact.  On the other hand I'm far too thin now.  If I ever get sick I've no reserves.  

• Posted

I understand that everyone has limitations, but it is important to point out that exercise  and diet work the same, by reducing sugar level in blood. The only reason I repeat this is because when people in our age group start diets, they lose weight, but some of that weight is muscle mass and that is a shame. It is so hard to rebuild it, especially when we are not teenagers any more. This is why I emphasis exercise; even a littel is better then none.
    • Posted

Yes, good point.  I didn't mean to imply that we shouldn't do exercise to the level we personally can manage, recognising that probably most of us never could aspire to being athletes even in our salad days.  

• Posted

I started my PMR journey as a type 1 diabetic so I check my sugars 6x/day+. I am on insulin pump therapy. Yes the prednisone created some major swings and some highs. I use the pump to get me back in zone. I have since gone to a keyto diet (very low carb) and it has greatly reduced the swings. I started at 15 mgs/ day and have reduced to 12 in three months. 

Best wishes. 

• Posted

You say you are being careful about your diet - but in what way?

Are you cutting carbs a lot? That means all "white" carbs (baked stuff, pasta and rice) and ALSO fruit to a great extent. Fruit may be regarded as "good" sugar but it still contributes to your Hba1c reading as do root vegetables. Try keeping a diary of what you eat and check the carb content - you may be very surprised at how much carb you are eating. 

This site has clear and simple illustrations of the carbs in various foods:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/

• Posted

Hi Eileen

If I am being honest with myself,  I will admit that I am still eating too much Carb.  Although I have cut down on rice (eating brown and wild rice now) and pasta, and bread. I do not over eat fruits.  I think my weakness will be in eating chocolates !! So this is going to be a lot of determination to Cut down on sugary stuff,   Anyway, thank you all of you for your input, and I will heed the advice,,,, less Carb,less sugar, less fruits, more exercise.  I hope with the reducing dosage of Pred, my Blood sugar should (in theory) come down. 

Thank you  all

• Posted

You can do it!  The rewards are just too great to be ignored!
    • Posted

The annoying thing is that what is OK for one person is too much for another - if I want to lose weight I have to get almost to keto level carbs and that is LOW! It is so easy for me to eat too much - less than 20g carbs is where I really need to be, less than half a bread roll takes me over the limit without counting the veggies and salads...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.