PMR Symptoms ...has anyone got swollen feet and ankles? Anyone experience irritability ...ccc

Posted , 7 users are following.

Prednisone did a number on my emotions. Made me irritable and angry and short tempered.  I gained almost 30 pounds in a short time.  Made me bloated and swole up my feet and ankles so I can barely wear shoes.  I can barely walk, lose my balance.  Don’t have much pain but am very stiff and sore.  Dr says I have PMR.  I don’t know. Haven’t seen any discussion about these things.  Would like to if I’m unusual. Took the Prednisone for about 18 months. Am off it now.  Can’t get the weight off. Would like to know if this is usual with PMR

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

At the beginning the prednisone made me suicidal but thank god i workedbin the mrntal health field so was aware of what was happening. I too have gained alot of weight but still on prednisone after 2.5 years just at 11mg just starting another tapper.

I'm amazed your off prednisone after 18mos. Are you male? Men tend to reduce much quicker. How are you feeling?

• Posted

I’m female 72.  Dr took me off because my sed rates were normal. Still can’t walk, so don’t know. Feel stiff sore, have new dr now but she didn’t say what this might be
    • Posted

Having normal sed rates doesn't mean the cause of the PMR has gone away. Even down to a low level they are low because the pred is managing the inflammation - but some people don't develop the reaction that raises the markers after they have been on pred. Strange - but true!

However - even once you are off pred it can take up to a year or even more to get back to normal - and of course you are also older in the meantime which doesn't help!

• Posted

If you are in that sort of state it is probably because the PMR is still active - it too can lead to swollem feet and ankles - and I promise you, PMR can do a number on emotions!!! I was exceedingly stroppy in the 5 years I had PMR before being on pred! 18 months is a very short time for PMR, about a quarter of patients get off pred in under 2 years but then remain at a higher risk of a relapse. About half take up to 4 to 6 years. 

You can help manage the weight gain, even whhile on pred,  by cutting carbs drastically and also salt. Pred changes the way your body metabolises carbs and very quickly encourages weight gain. Reducing/omitting salt also helps avoid fluid retention. Using a low carb approach helps burn off the fat better, whether on or off pred. It sometimes does need help - others find it melts away once they are off pred - everyone is different.

• Posted

I am still on pred and started having swollen lower legs, ankles and feet just after I started them. Whenever I ask about them to a doctor they say Oh it’s the steroids. As you say it is really uncomfortable. I am on 5mg and the swelling has not really changed. I was actually very careful with my diet and gave up gluten and simple carbs, mainly because I heard it stopped a moon face. I did not really put on weight thank goodness. 
  • Posted

To let you know you’re not the only one with feet ankles. Etc.. mine got so bad, water seeped out of my lower legs for 3-4 months. All vascular etc were checked and fine. I had to wear bands around ankles made from towels and they soaked in 30 minutes UGHwore old sandals of my hubby walked with a walker, then walking stick...you name it...I think I got it. Things improved a lot. Swelling left, now can walk, not to far to often, but whoopee, so much better. I still have bouts of feeling sorry for what I cannot do, but TRY to think of whT I CAN do. Merry Christmas, be kind to yourself, Hugh to all on this very helpful forum, Judy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.