PMR, tapering Prednisone

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi..I am not new to the forum...have been on the prednisone since my diagnosis last March, 2014. I am at 10 mg daily and wake up in the morning with aching in my groin, hips and shoulders; supplement with the TYLENOL when doing activities. Last attempt to go to 9 mg daily was not successful..that was around October 1st. Is the a.m. Pain an I dicayion that I am not ready to taper?....or should I try again. My bone density is good at this time, but my rheumatologist wants me to move toward tapering. Thank you for your suggestions.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi kathy i have had PMR for 4 years am now on 5mg pred -and still got pain but not as bad -and have been bad as you but i used to take paracetamol in bed about 7 am and it did hepl a bit with the morning pain and then i would take pred with my breakfast BUT then EILEEN gave me some good advice and  she said to try to not take the paracetamol but instead take my pred very early in bed .SO I DID  and i take my pred in bed at 5 am with a slice of brown bread and margarine washed down with warm drink from flask-then try to get back to sleep -and it hasmade a big difference to the amount of pain i am in on getting up ,not pain free of course but i hope you try it and find it helps you and any others reading tnis -good luck and let us know if it helps you .
    • Posted

I have tolerated the prednisone pretty well, taken with yogurt in the early morning. Weird to have just one leg bothering me!...the rest of me is fine..? Thanks for your input.
  • Posted

Kathy, can you tell me how you successfully lost weight and kept it off? I have gained too much weight on pred and am feeling the effects. I need to lose now, and continue to keep it off. My waistline has gotten huge, and my thighs and of course, moon face...

• Posted

Dont know why you have asked me this question!😊...but I have maintained my weight throughout this PMR. Initially I lost 18 pounds on a slender frame before I was diagnosed. I did not get the moo face, weight gain, etc....but am actually starting to gain weight now that I am down to 7-1/2...almost 7!!  Not typical. Eileen has a lot of good advice about diet...cutting carbs, sugar, etc. I think, like most things, everyone has their own body type and metabolism...most people struggle with weight on or off prednisone☹️

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.