PMR vs. Sero-negative RA

Posted , 11 users are following.

I may have posted this question last summer, but I can't find any record of it. I was diagnosed with PMR in Sept. 2014, I'm in the US, and seeing the same Rheumatologist I first met 25 yrs. earlier when he treated our then HS age daughter for Lupus (thankfully in remission). After 4 or 5 months on Prednisone, I switched to Medrol, partly because of our daughter's experience. I've been using the Dead Slow program and have transitioned to 2.5 mg. Last summer, I think based on the fact that my hands were swollen and stiff, he brought up sero-negative RA as a possibility. The hands have cleared up. I'd be doing great except that I now need a new right hip. Hip aside, I'm still struggling to understand the differences between the 2 diagnoses. I think I get that the hand involvement is what is more suggestive of RA. And I guess if it does go away, it was more likely PMR after all. What else should I try to understand about the differences?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

PMR could be seen as much the same as RA except without joint damage. PMR is accepted as being a vasculitis, inflamed blood vessels, RA is an arthritis, it attacks and eventually damages the joints causing erosion of the joint linings. PMR does NOT cause joint erosion although it can affect the synovium, the lining in the joints.

PMR can affect hands and feet (study by Leeds researchers ongoing), especially if it is associated with RS3PE syndrome.

• Posted

About a year ago I had similar issue with hands as I was reducing prednisone from ~4 to 3.5 and it really hit me when I was at 3mg. Rheumi thought that it was RA... but since it cleared up after several months ( at the higher dose of pred ) he changed his diagnosis to " it was probably synovitis ". I have since reduced again to 3mg and the symptoms have not returned...

My impression is that PMR restricts blood flow to muscles and also to joints (especially to synovium - the lining in the joints and causes RA like problems).

• Posted

I I had a similar diagnosis with the two Alternatives being PMR or LORA ( late onset rheumatoid arthritis ). with 20/20 hindsight I have PMR with a light sprinkling of rs3pe because of the involvement of the hands and feet.

some rheumatologist think that rs3pe should manifest with extremely swollen hands or feet. mine were swollen but not as extreme as their medical texts show.

additionally I am seronegative. I'm in the USA also. I suggest you consult Dr. Google with RS3PE.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.