PMR with joint pain in hands

Posted , 18 users are following.

Decreasing prednisone for PMR 

experiencing joint pain in hands and fingers

has anyone experienced this.....the pain is mostly upon awaking and decreases with use of hands

thx

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Everyone,

About 8 weeks ago I had swollen knuckles which were very painful early in the morning. The pain and swelling subsided during the day and there was no pain by night-time. In the morning i could not close my fists. I went to my GP who said it might be Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA). These are indeed classic symptoms. The blood test were negative for both markers which happens in 25% of RA cases. I upped my pred from7 to 9 and the swelling has gone, but there is slight pain in the morning. I only mention this because these symptom might be RA and maybe you should check with your doctor and get your bloods tested for RA markers. I'm hoping I don't have it!

• Posted

I get this on occasion.  No rhyme nor reason, although I haven't 'analyzed' the cause in terms of something I did the previous day,  It may be that I overworked my hands the day before.  It appears one day and disappears a day or two later, I would describe it as stiffness in my hands when rising which lessens throughout the day,

• Posted

I would like to just add to what you say Jean, that these aches and stiffness come and go and seem to travel to different parts at random. I commented on a stiff right little finger a couple of days ago but this has almost gone now, then it will be concentrated more in aching feet  or painful(ish) biceps and so on...

• Posted

Hi Nancy, I have had PMR for about 1 1/2 years and just alter the dose as I feel like it I quickly went down from 15mg to about 5mg and have more slowly got down to a very low amount, sometimes 1mg sometimes 1/2mg and recently for 4 days none.However it has started to come back,i.e.the stiffness etc and only recently it has effected my hands as you say especially at night and in particular the small finger on my right hand which gets better during the day but is always a little bit stiff and painful if I stretch it.I am only on 1/2 mg at moment and don't want to up the dose if I can avoid it.I seem to get odd pains or aches in lots of different places at different times, it's all rather odd.

• Posted

So do I!   I believe prednisone is killing me sometimes.. maybe that’s the part that causes me to feel very emotional

but my hair is falling out,  bruises everywhere, veins popping out, losing weight, can’t gain muscles with working out, high blood pressure, now high cholesterol, bone lose bla bla!!! Sorry just venting

• Posted

Nancy, 3 years ago I was a very active 78 year man. Then I came down with PMR. 1 year ago I was in a wheelchair, could not walk. Went from 7 mg of Prednisone to 30 mg. I was jumping out of my skin, my wife was afraid to let me drive. I would fight and argue over everything. My skin was falling apart, diabetic neuropathy was driving me crazy, my mouth and tongue hurt, I gained weight and could not walk. I started walking 1/6 of a mile take a rest and walk another 1/6 of a mile around a little pond in town. Come home exhausted, take and nap. I taped down to 7 mg Prednisone, feel good, last week one day I rode 30 miles here on the mountain roads. Attitude very important, try to think positive, be active and smile. Believe me it will help, good luck to on rest of your journey. ☺️
  • Posted

My hands hurt all the time. Here is what is wrong with mine. Maybe you fit one or more of these.

PMR

osteoarthritis 

rheumatoid arthritis (possibly)

trigger thumb

carpel tunnel sydrom

I just got the trigger thumb and carpel tunnel fixed in my right hand and will get the left hand done at the end of summer. I am taking an arthritis med for the rheumatoid arthritis and I recently started to taper off and my pain returned so I'm back on that again. And if I'm late taking my pred in the morning then the first place I feel pain is my hands and forearms.

• Posted

I had severe hand pain before diagnosis that then slowly faded with 15mg pred. It was mostly tendonitis in my fingers and although there was some synovitis I wouldn't have said it was joint pain. I also had tendonitis that stretched from the outer aspect of my elbow to the inside of the wrist - we thought it was RSI due to too much typing! I also had foot pain.

• Posted

Hi Nancy. I experience the same thing and mainly in my Right hand and wrist. It's not painful really, just stiffness and weakness. It's difficult to make a fist initially, but all improves once I get moving. My rheumatologist says it's possibly early onset RA, but all sets of tests have been negative for that so far. I don't have any swelling so don't believe it is RA. She says that PMR does not affect the hands or feet, however a recent large study by the Mayo clinic says otherwise if I remember correctly.

• Posted

My rheumatologist says that it can affect the hands, arms and even the thighs but she didn't feel like it would affect the feet. I think it would behoove you and be good for your doctor if you were to find that article and send it to him or her. I'm sure if you have a busy practice it would also be hard to keep up with the latest information.

• Posted

I have mentioned a study Leeds UK has done - but so far it is an opinion, The hard and fast figures are still being analysed. However, RS3PE affects hands and feet and it is commonly found along with PMR.
    • Posted

Hi Steve...I know it’s from PMR and decreasing prednisone 

i am a mess in this crap

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.