PMR without inflammatory markers

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello everyone...just joined this group. Very very long story short...I am a 52 year old female who had been in optimal health my entire life...about a year and a half ago became ill...definite dx of Fibromyalgia and Hashimoto's Thyroiditis....approx 3 months ago my symptoms took a major turn for the worse...debilitating joint pain (particularly shoulders, knees hands wrists and ankles) climbing stairs is difficult drying my hair and even putting a shirt on is excruciating....RA Lupus ruled out by Rheumy but PCP thinks its PMR....Sed Rate is 16 but ANA had doubled over the last year...currently on Plaquinel (4 weeks) it's doing

Nothing....Rheumy says no PMR just Osteoarthritis...after begging my Rheumy for relief she put me on week med dose pack of prednisone...dramatic and rapid improvement of my symptoms...Rheumy says "all people feel better on steroids...please help....thoughts anyone??? My quality of life is horrible...

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

Two weeks ago I contacted my physician who put me in touch with a rheumy. After describing my stiffness, and pain I later discovered my symptoms were classic PMR. The PMR developed after receiving both a COVID booster and the second shingles vaccine on the same day. I knew nothing about PMR, but after describing my symptoms the theumy put me on 15 mg prednisone daily and gave instructions on reading about PMR and serious side effects of Prednisone. The next day after taking the Prednisone the results were instant and dramatic recovery. I was informed the lab tests did not indicate inflammation.

Yesterday I met with a second rheumy and she brought this up. We're now discussing medication to prevent bone loss and protocol to taper off the Prednisone. I might add that I'm normally a healthy person, active male in his 70's.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.