PMR without prednisone

Posted , 3 users are following.

Anyone out there suffering from Polymyalgia Rheumatica and treating it with alternative medicine rather than Prednisone? I think I have a mild case of PMR - bilateral arm and shoulder pain, stiff and painful hips - worse after sitting and in AM. My tests are all normal. I have had these pains for 3 months (the stiffness and achy hips for a year or two). Because my tests are normal, my GP was OK with my continuing to use acupuntcture, Udo's oil, turmeric and massage to deal with my discomfort and NSAIDS which I find give relief sometimes.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I have PMR and have come across two homeopaths who have it. They said the only thing that helps is steroids which work like a miracle. Before steroids the pain was excruciating, I could hardly move and would have been in a wheelchair by now without the steroids. NSAIDs had no effect at all. Do you think you might have vit D deficiency or fibromyalgia? What did the doctor check for? Did you have raised ESR or CRP when you had a blood test?
    • Posted

Hi ptolemy,

Yes my Dr. did the usual tests for PMR (ESR and CPR - both normal) as well as tests on my thyroid, iron, urine...

I do not the have the typical fibro symptoms (sensitivity to touch,environmental sensitivity, stiffness that doesn't improve with mov't - or becomes worse with mov't, muscle spasms fatigue, headaches....)

NSAIDA help sometimes.....mostly a hot shower and heated miracle bag are the most helpful.

I think because my tests are normal and I am coping OK (even tho mys sleep is very disrupted - i wake up every hour or two - and have for the last 65 days) my Dr. doesn't think I have PMR....

BUT I definitely have pain and stiffness that is hard to take at least part o f every day....

• Posted

Hi Pam, if your doctor does not think you have PMR what is their diagnosis? I think around twenty five per cent of people with PMR do not have raised blood which I suppose does not help with the diagnosis. I assume you are not taking steroids. My symptoms started off quite mild and just got worse and worse over about three months. I suppose my real worry with PMR is the possibility of getting GCA and going blind where taking steroids are the only answer. 
  • Posted

She didn't actually say what she thought it might be - i said that I had been using alternatives to prednisone (like an antiinflammatory diet, turmeric drinks, green drinks and occasional fasting, and working with a naturopathic Dr. that was trying different supplements - like adrenal syrup and sleep aids, and visits to an acuuncturist) and that I had noticed small improvements. She encouraged me to continue doing what I was doing and come back and see her in 3 months.

(This was supposed to go to Ptolemy. It's from me - Pam)

I have read that for mild cases of PMR Dr.s do prescribe NSAIDs and that in some cases of PMR symtoms improve and may even disappear on their own in a year or two.

• Posted

Some people do just take NSAIDs for PMR, but it may not of course actually be PMR, but something else. Some people carry on without pred sometimes for several years and then the PMR catches up with them. If what you are doing now works that is good news and even better news if it is not PMR of course. There are various other complaints that have similar symptoms including vitamin D deficiency. Did you have a blood test for that?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.