PMT & depression....

Posted , 3 users are following.

This is a post for fellow ladies out there....I am 46 & have found PMT has become a lot worse over these past few months. I don't know if it is linked to me reducing my Venlafaxine from 150 mg to 75mg.

I went cold turkey a few weeks ago ~ which was a disaster ~ and I am now back taking 75mg daily. I feel very low at this time of year ~ dark days & nights are not good ~ and then once a month I have dreadful mood swings...

I am wondering if there are any supplements that can help with PMT? And that are safe to take alongside Venlafaxine? 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I used to have terrible PMT - literally couldn't get out of bed for two weeks of the month...saw no point in anything...then i would wake up one day with my period and think 's**t', i have so much work to do and so little time!' (I was doing a masters course at the time. I tried everything but eventually read some stuff about wheat, gliten, dairy and PMT. I gave these up and it literally changed my life. I now get slight PMT but only within what i would guess is the normal range. It's hard to know whether this might help you or not but it helped me a lot.

I also take evning primrose as this also supposedly helps.

• Posted

Hallo Lucy, thank you for replying & I really appreciate your suggestions. I am lying here feeling like I am ready to give up. Dealing with lots including marriage breakdown (husband being difficult), very busy job and part~time course. I can just about cope at other times of the month then the PMT takes over....

My friend swears by Evening Primrose Oil. I need to find out if it can be taken alongside anti~depressant? (In my case Venlafaxine). Interestingly she has altered her diet & gone gluten~free...

• Posted

I take evening primrose along with venlafaxine - i'm pretty sure i checked this out before i started taking it but it might be worth double checking as i'm not quite sure.

Sorry to hear you're having a difficult time....it sounds really tough. I have to say giving up gluten was difficult...not that i missed it but that i had insane withdrawal stmptoms...at one point my legs were so shaky i couldnt walk further than the end of the road and slept all the time...I have friends who have given up gluten and didn't have any of these withdrawals though so you may be totally fine. To be on the safe side it might be worth coming off it when you're slightly less stressed or busy.

• Posted

Thank you for kind words Lucy. I feel like completely hiding away right now. I am going to start keeping a diary of my cycle and research into taking Evening Primrose and making changes to diet.

Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day....

• Posted

One day at a time smile Look at a website called mindbodygreen, it has some interesting self-help type articles which i've found useful. 
    • Posted

I came across their page the other day on Facebook. Definitely have some very interesting articles...
  • Posted

Hi I was in 75mg venlafaxine and was getting hot flushes amongst other things. I am 46 too but my hysterectomy was 11 years ago and my hot flushes were under control with my HRT pill.  I am off venlafaxine now and slowly starting sertraline 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.