pneomotorax 4 times

Posted , 2 users are following.

3 years ago I had my first spontaneous pneumothorax, few days with a chest tube and o went home.

3 months later it happen again . this time I had a sergury with vat and I was fine for 2.5 years. then I was traveling and woke up with the same pain. again with chest tube and home . a week later same pain. the doctors put the tube under ct scan and they put a talc around my lung to stick it to the chest wall. was the painful thing I have ever had.

anyway is there anyone with same condition? the talc helped?

it was 2 weeks ago and I still wake up every morning scared to feel that pain again. I'm so tired I don't want to leave my bed .

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I have the talc surgery on both lungs. The left one 3 years ago, no problems since. The right one was last May. I have weird sensations and noises on that side. Have an appt with doc in Kansas City in Nov. not sure I want to know what he has to say. Did they give you a reason for the lung collapses? I was diagnosed with LAM.
    • Posted

sorry what is lam?

no one knows it was spontaneous and no one could tell me what's the reason and what to do with it. it's annoying.

2 weeks after the talc I did a x ray and the doc said there is still a small pneomotorax air and liquids but it should be gone with time . I don't have problems with breathing but sometimes I feel pains in my back like I had befoure. don't know.

• Posted

LAM stands for Lymphangioleiomyomatosis.  A rare disease that causes lung collapses. The cysts don't show up well on Xray but show up great on CT Scan. 

Mostly occurs in women. Google it. If you are female you may want to get a CT scan. My first collapse and surgery was in 2014. I was healthy, doing half marathons and nike riding, then boom collapsed lung for no apparent reason. Then my world changed. I was sort of lucky, I didn't have pain with my collapses, this last one I was running around on vacation. Had a cough but figured it was the junk going around. Got home felt tired, went for Xray and boom 80 percent collapsed like last time. I too live in fear and with paranoia. When this weird noise and bubbling sound started a few weeks ago I just new it was a collapse. I read some posts on here and saw others who deal with it. I'm trying to stick it out until the doc appt in Nov. Its gotten better. But after 6 chest tubes and 2 surgeries I just don't want anymore.

• Posted

Also, if this gives you any hope. After my talc surgery in May, I was on the road and bowling 30 days later in Baton Rouge. I coughed my head off for weeks but I bowled and climbed on a Navy Ship with no problems. It does take time to recover from that surgery and it sucks and it is full of fear.
    • Posted

I am a man. and had lot of ct scans in the last year's since it happened the first time. my last ct scan the doc said he can't see any bula also .I hope this talc thing will solve it

you remember if they told you when can you fly again after this talc ?

• Posted

I don't fly, but many I know who have had the surgery go ahead and fly. Not sure how long they wait and many have oxygen. One thing since this second surgery, I can't od stairs anymore. I'm hoping that changes. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.