pneumonia or anxiety

Posted , 4 users are following.

hello i suffer from anxiety and gerd last 2 months i have shortness of breath without fever and saturation is always 99-98. can a person have pneumonia without fever and cough and also with saturation of 99-98

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I had pneumonia while on a cruise, thought it was bronchitis.  Horrible cough but no fever.  Went to doc as soon as I got home and X-ray showed pneumonia.  Don't know what saturation is.  Go to doctor.
    • Posted

saturation shows how well your lungs and heart pump oxygen into body during pneumonia saturation is low
    • Posted

Okay...when I went to doctor they checked on oxygen by putting a clip on my finger.  They asked if I was tired because it was really low!  Was way tired!  Try going on your first cruise and doing all that walking...also recently I was super out of breath and it was caused by water retention!  Went on water pills and that worked.  Still have swelling in ankles that cardiologist attributes to "leaky" veins!
  • Posted

Why do you think you have pneumonia? Do you have bubbling, crackling sounds when inhaling? Are you wheezing? If you have bacterial pneumonia you need antibiotics. If you have viral pneumonia you need anti virals. There are other types of pneumonia too. An x-ray should diagnose the situation.  Pneumonia can affect oxygenation of blood so that would reduce your saturation reading, yours seems pretty good to me. 
    • Posted

i just have gerd and anxiety so sometimes acid reflux can cause pneumonia +my health anxiety i think.i dont have fever cough or hedaches just shortness of breath and chocking feelings sometimes
    • Posted

yeah i know just want to ask does saturation always go down in pneumonia or is there chance of it to be 99.also can i have pneumonia for 3 months without treatment and still be alive? i have gerd so iv read sometimes it increase risks of lung disseases
    • Posted

My dad had Alzheimer's and eventually forgot how to swallow.  He started inhaling his food and developed pneumonia but he had a very high fever.
    • Posted

thanks guys for anwsers i will have chest x-ray or ct this week but because my saturation is normal my gp thinks its anxiety
    • Posted

Your GP is probably right. Have you practiced any relaxation techniques, meditation, yoga.... Also get enough sleep, have a healthy diet and exercise. 
  • Posted

Do you smoke? How fit are you? Are you overweight? Are you short of breath all the time? Did it come on gradually?  Shortness of breath is the main reason people go to A&E apparently. It could be asthma or COPD possibly or even panic attacks. 
  • Posted

Anxiety isn't a sickness but a problem of the muscles,breathing mechanism and your mind. If the doctor's say you got Pneumonia treat it though and worry less about what your saturation says.
  • Posted

Hi, I get pnoumonia all the time, and my oxygen will be normal, my main symptom is super tired, and then I get these horrible chills where I can't get warm. You can have pneumonia with no symptoms, I call it walking pneumonia, it can be there for months.

Maybe your anxiety is fear of being sick, its kind of like a panic attack. Hope you have had the x ray by now, that is the only way to know, I never have lung sounds, but then the x- ray will show it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.