Pneumothorax 2 years ago. Afraid to fly out of the country. Please help

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello! This is my first time posting here. 

I’ve had Pneumothorax 2 years ago on my right lungdue to a fall from the 4th floor down to the ground (not disclosing anymore deets) had surgery; chest tube and all. Now my problem is that I am afraid I’ll have another collapse on the plane. I am flying to the US from the Philippines and that will be a very long flight so I want to know what i can do. When I had my check up a year after my last surgery, pulmo said my lungs are good, chest xray is good and that I won’t have any problem flying. But after having pneumothorax, I’ve always had difficulty breathing, the right part of my back hurts especially after walking for so long / running or simply sitting without back support. What should I do? I’m afraid it’ll collapse on the plane and if I do feel like I couldn’t breathe on the plane, what can I do? 

I want to go to the hospital but I don’t have sufficient funds as of the moment. Should I go for a check up and ask the doctor if it is safe to fly? We already have tickets and I honestly don’t want to waste anymore money... please help..

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Correction the surgery is just chest tube insertion, “CTT” I honestly cant remember what it means but they drained my right lung. 
  • Posted

2 years is very long time man. if you didn't had any problems since then you have nothing to worry .

you can ask for a x ray few days befour the flight just be calm. and make sure you have travel insurance . other then that don't worry

• Posted

Thank you! I don’t think I’ve ever had a problem and my past xrays are good but sometimes when doing strenuous activities it’s definitely hard to breathe and the right part of my back hurts so yeah I’m afraid
    • Posted

to tell you the truth I was having one and took care or it . a week later I was on a plane and I was okay during the 10 hours flight. when I landed I went for x ray and they said it was good. 2 days after I went back to hospital .

so no one knows what to say and what is good or not

• Posted

Hi, I had numerous pneumothorax on both lungs. I also had the dreaded tension pneumothorax for no reason. Good news I have had vats procedure and a pleurectamy. I fly out 30 - 50 flights a year short and long haul. I have never had a problem. If you are nervous have a beer! Honestly it's safe to fly. Good luck and I hope that helps.

• Posted

Yes I did and gave up since it happened. Smoking isn't necessarily the issue but it does not help either!

• Posted

I had 2 pneomotorax then a sergury where they cut a part of the lung . 2.5 years later it came again twice . then they put talc inside...2 mouth after I'm okay but it's a problem then maybe it will come again

• Posted

I have had talc also. Trust me you can't worry about it life goes on. I was like you at first. On a plane it is decompressed air same as on ground! Really I do 30 - 50 and have no problems.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.