Pneumothorax

Posted , 3 users are following.

On Feb 6th 2018 i went in to get a tummy tuck, come to find out after a ambulance ride to the hospital and not knowing anything that was happening until i felt this horrible pain and could hear myself scream that my lung collapsed, and they were inserting a chest tube, i spent 6 days in the hospital and I've been home recovering. But how long does this pain last? It's been 6 weeks?

The craziest thing I'm experiencing is the panic feeling, i don't think anyone in my family realizes how painful a chest tube is. But im seriously living in panic, i guess the fear of the unknown of this happening again. And the thought of another chest tube again and being awake for it is driving me crazy... i panic and can't breath. I just don't know if I'm alone with this or not. ??

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

No Dawn, you are not alone.  Chest tubes, and the fact that they do not sedate you, are barbaric.  I had nightmares about my first chest tube.  It is impossible for someone who has not been through it to really understand. 

Being put put to sleep for your tummy tuck surgery may have been what caused the collapse of your lung.  I have had a good bit of surgery in the past and every time I am put to sleep, the positive air pressure in the lungs from the breathing apparatus used during surgery causes a bleb to pop.  Prior to my pleurodesis surgeries, this would cause a lung collapse.  

Hopefully, you will never have any more lung problems and this was an isolated incident due to being put to sleep for surgery.  The pain should go away, it just takes a bit of time.

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

• Posted

Hi Dawn,

i have to agree with what southern says here. to be honest the chest tube was one of the worst parts about my whole stint in hospital too. i think i didnt get out of bed for a whole week because of how painful/uncomfortable it was.

i have heard from a fair few people who have had the exact same feelings as you when it comes to this and it can be really scary.

my suggestion for this would be take the strong stuff! i was so drugged up by the doctors i didn't even feel them doing my second tube. also if you have anybody that can come with you to help calm you down that was always a huge help for me as well.

and also keep in mind that you are in the hand of a professional who has preformed this procedure countless times.

i hope you recover as fast as possible!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.