Pneumothorax after VATS pleurodesis

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had a 100% lung collapse followed by a VATS pleurodesis on the left lung a month ago.

I am having pains at the center of my chest on my right side. I am so scared this is happening again.

Did anyone had a pneumothorax on both lungs? What were the time between the two collapses? Does anyone thinks this happens because of dehydration?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I know people who have had pneumos on both lungs, either separated or simultaneously. If you think thats your case try not to make any physical effort - that can aggravate a pneumo - and best thing you could do is go to ER or consult with a doctor, but you already know this, right? This being said, it is unusual to have a pneumo on a lung where you have had pleurodesis but it certainly happens (it has happened to me, and not just one pneumo but many). I am currently suffering from chest pain for which I have no clear diagnosis yet (and its been two months :-( ), so I know its difficult to do but try to stay calm. Remember that there are many sufferers out there, you are not alone.

As for the dehydration I could not say but from my experience I think that losing too much weight - I mean muscle and fat not just water - can increase the chances of having a pneumotorax.

Best wishes

• Posted

By the way, I was once in hospital and met a girl who had had a collapse just one week after a previous one (both required intervention). Dont know if it was in a different lung, but I dont see any reason to rule that out. Unfortunately, pneumos just happen.
  • Posted

I've have a pneumo that resulted in pleurodesis on my left lung. My brother has had both lungs collapse, about 6 months apart. But there is no clear time line, it is something we have to just live with - the possibility that it can happen again at any time. After surgery on my left, i have had striking pain from left to right etc, because of nerve damage. But if you're in doubt, always get it checked. It doesn't hurt to be cautious.
  • Posted

Hi.....

18 months ago I had VAT pleurodesis and a bulletomy on my left lung.

It is not uncommon to feel pain across all of your chest including the "good" lung which I do have from time to time. Remember what you have just been through and you also scar tissue has formed which can cause pain.

This only happened to you a month ago... I had pain everyday for 3 months. Recovering from surgery takes time, especially lung surgery.

I tend to go with a general rule of thumb... If you can take a big deep breath then you should be ok. If not, monitor and seek help. If you are really concerned then alway got to your nearest hospital.

Try to be positive, just because one lung collapsed doesn't neccisarily mean the other one will. You will always know what to do because you have been through it before. Live every day without fear

Stay strong and feel free to keep in touch

M x

• Posted

Hi there,

I had a pneumothorax on my right side about 18 monts ago. Just like you I had pain on my left side as well starting 6 months later. I still have the bubbles sometimes and it recently started hurting again. 

I could only sleep on my back for about 10 monts. I guess pain is different for everyone I do however started to caugh and believe that something is happening again as the pain came back as well. 

Will keep you posted if the left side collapses this time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.