Pneumothorax and Coronavirus

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi

i had corrective surgery (thoracotomy and pleurectomy) on my right lung in 2000 and in 2002 had pleural abrasion on my left lung. These procedures proved to be successful and i have had no problems since although I do now suffer with reduced lung function. I am now starting to get concerned about if i catch the Coronavirus and end up being on a ventilator will my lungs be able to cope. I remember when i was sterilised they manually ventilated me as they were worried that the pressure of the normal ventilator would cause problems.

Can anyone advise?

Thank you.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

I cannot offer any information regarding ventilators, but I had a problem with my CPAP machine when I first started using it years ago. I had thoracotomy and pleurectomy with pleural abrasion done to both lungs, at separate times, over 30 years ago. Three years ago, I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and had to start using a CPAP machine. The very first night, it caused a bleb to pop - very painful for days, but not dangerous as lung couldn't collapse due to pleural abrasion done long ago. I discussed this with my sleep doctor, who is also a pulmonologist, and he lowered the pressure setting on the CPAP. I haven't had any problems since. Also worth noting is that I had to have other surgeries over the years, unrelated to lung issues. Almost every time I had surgery, I ended up with a popped bleb and lots of pain - I've always thought it was due to possible ventilator usage during surgery, but I don't know for sure.

I have also thought about possible problems with ventilators during this COVID-19 craziness. I'm doing everything I can to avoid catching this horrible virus. I hope all of us with these lung problems will stay well and safe.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.