Pneumothorax re occurance?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey folks for those of you whom have had VATS or pleuraldesis and all of that how many of you have had that fail and another collapse happen? After the surgery I had the phantom pains for awhile like I was having a collapse but those have gone away and things good for years now. However the past week or so I get sharp stabbing pains feels like the lung is trying to tear itself loose from the chest wall. When the sharp pain of that is not there the area the pain was at has this dull ache like I took a few punches to he area. Doc ordered xrays but I will tell ya I can't go thru that surgery again the recovery nearly cost me my job and was a nightmare only thing helped me in recovery was toradol suppose to only take for 5 days due to its potential to damage kidney or something but was on for 10 days to be comfortable.

So trying to get a consensus on tose of u it has failed for.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

To my knowledge I'm the only person in the world have this operation more than once on each lung. The chance after the operation is 1% of it needing done again. You can have the puncture without the collapse. The ribs act as scaffolding to ensure it stays inflated even if punctured. Trust me if it was tarring off your chest wall you'd be unconscious in minutes at best. More than likely it's one of three things first the least severe tendon damage caused by sneezing coughing stretching. Second muscle tare/damaged caused by same as tendon. Lastly the most severe your lungs punctured. This can happen the same way the collapse did also any of the above can cause it. It'll take 6-8 weeks to heal. But the most plausible is that it's your body getting used to its new layout. Your ribs now breathe for you instead of muscles. Those same muscles have to repair themselves same as the tendons between your ribs this can take three months. I'm my opinion it's the later it took me about a year for my body to repair and I never go a day without pain. I have a permanent puncture on top left of left lung and the bottom I'd dead due to 2 surgeons messing up the operations.

• Posted

I would agree however its been over 2 yrs since surgery. Sorry should have added the back story.

Also keep in mind I do still have blebs on left lung but so far the left has not given me issues its always been the right so far 3 collapses then the surgery

• Posted

I wish lol 16 times so far lol pneumonia 32 times pleurisy 5 times, 4 heart attacks. Died that many times I've lost count. Most doctors now ask my advice lol

• Posted

I had my first spontaneous pneumothorax  last May 1st. I had chest  tube for 2 weeks. 1 week in the hospital and 1 week at home. The pain was horrible during the first week but my body gets used to the tube so that’s why I think it’s lesser on the second week. 

I did still take toradol for a week at home and Tylenol for breakthrough  pain.  I was suppose to have surgery but I was not comfortable with it so the doctor agreed to send me home with a chest tube connected to a Heimluch Valve.  After a total of 2 weeks with chest tube the leak in my lung sealed.  My Thoracic surgeon said if it recur again there’s no more choice but to do the surgery. 

I still have pain on my riGht lower rib and sometimes on my right shoulder blade area. It’s getting lesser now that’s It’s more than 2 weeks without chest tube. 

I’m still scared because I know it can happen anytime again... because I have blebs in my lung based on the CT scan.  Do you have blebs too? 

• Posted

Yes, both lungs had blebs    on the 3rd hospital stay for a collapse we did the surgery  .(right lung only in those 3 collapses) my left does have blebs but thus far no issues. if it ever does give me issues im requesting the surgery on the first hospital stay for that.    the surgery is a total pain in butt to overcome but in end worth it. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.