Pneumothorax recurrence after VAT pleurodesis

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all!

So after having multiple spontaneous pneumothorax on my right and left lung I had VAT pleurodesis on both of my lungs. My right lung was done last December, everything was ok until August, in which I had a slight pneumothorax. After seeing the doctor it seemed that it was relatively small (3cm) and that it would cure itself. Apparently the upper part of the lung is not attached well together compared to the lower part. The doctor told me that, if this occurred more than twice per year, it would be a good idea to do pleurectomy, the more invasive version of pleurodesis. 

I was wondering if anyone had a similar experience, i.e. further pneumothorax after VAT pleurodesis. Did you get another pleurodesis or did you get a pleurectomy (which my doctor seemed to recommend). If so how did it compare, and how are you now?

Thanks in advanced!

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I'm in the same boat. So far I waited 5 weeks the lung got better but now here I am again with the bubbling noise. I do not want that surgery. Not sure what my future is going to be.

• Posted

Hi, I had Vats and it occurred again and again. I had pleurectamy on doctors recommendation and not had a problem since smile that's 5 years smile

• Posted

I need to google this procedure and understand exactly what it is, can you tell me what the recovery time is? Glad your issue is solved smile

• Posted

JonathanI’ve had a bleb resection and pleurodesis on both lungs, (twice on the left one) most recently a month ago.   As I type this I think it’s collapsing yet again so I’m hoping you can provide some information regarding pleurectomy.   Actually I need you to tell me pretty much all about it.   I realize it’s more invasive but how was your recovery?  All  of my VATS pleurodesis have been mechanical and done around the top of my lungs as they said doing it near the bottom would limit movement and make activity painful.  I am an avid runner and active at the gym and losing that ability would surely throw me into depression.  I would really appreciate any  information about your experience you can provide. 

• Posted

Sure recovery was 7-10 days in hospital! Then a few months taking it easy. Honestly if you have had problems after Vats I would do it. I had a tension pneumothorax after vats. That can kill you! Doctor recommended it and I did it. Touch wood I've had no problems last 5 years smile

• Posted

Thank you for the info. May Talc procedure was in May, problems started in Sept. I just healed from a partial collapse. They told me all was well on Monday and now the noise is back. I need to call and see if I need more rest or another solution. Glad your case is going well.
    • Posted

I love your calmness about the whole thing, its hard to find optimism nowadays. I've been having the same issues and don't want to go through with any more surgeries, but this is encouraging.

• Posted

when they did my pleurodesis they at same time did a pleurectamy  i've had small pains in upper chest here and there telling me i have a small collapse but nothing to concern myself with . they also elected to do a bullectomy at the same time. spelling? prolly not right but i dont care .  my only concern these days is the blebs on my left lung as the only one repaired so far is the right lung where i was having all of the collapses.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.