PNR-Prednisone-osteoporosis

Posted , 14 users are following.

Has anyone been diagnosed with osteoporosis after being on prednisone?   If so what has the doctor prescribed?

1 like, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I think I started a thread about how I had two back fractures due probably to use of pred. for about 6 or 7 years for PMR.  I had used Fosomax, but then was given Prolia shot about 4 months ago.  The Prolia shot has so many awful side effects listed, I was scared, but went ahead.  I did notice extra achy pain for several days after it.

Back fractures are not fun.  I don't know the answer.  I take 20 mg, have got down to 13, then had a really bad flare after pneumonia.  Now ever time I try to reduce I get such back and shoulder pain I can hardly bear it.  

• Posted

I have just had a spell of backpain. I'm 100% sure it was muscular and it was just above my sacroiliac joints - when I tried to stand from sitting at the computer it was awful until I got moving and the only thing that eased it was lying or sitting with a big pillow behind me so my back was fully supported.

I also had minor signs of a flare in other places but the appointment with the rheumy was shifted back 2 weeks so I wasn't sure what I should try - I'm waiting for physio which will deal with it and I manage my own dose normally anyway. I had been good at 8mg, back from a bit lower, and decided to try 10mg. Magic - I can move without any sign of this pain at all.

So what I'm saying is really that your back pain as you reduce may not be "just" PMR. It could be other muscular problems. When I have them, targetting them directly makes a big difference to the pred dose I need.

• Posted

My understanding is that Prolia is more effective for spinal osteoporosis.  But like the bisphosphonates it should not be taken for many years because of the risk of developing microcracks, which defeats the whole purpose of OP meds.  Did you get any advice about nutrition (including supplements beyond calcium and D) and appropriate exercise?
    • Posted

I agree. Have been suffering for a few weeks now with girdle pain and thought it was from repercussions due to tapering.  Bowen therapist  yesterday only did massage due to the tightness of the hip flector and butt muscles both sides and worked on thighs, hammies etc. 

Apparently I was so tight and muscles switched on that my back was also affected. Instant relief, not sure about this morning though, but I did have a very physical and emotionally stressful day yesterday....multiple appointments first then  a tooth extraction which took 7 hours before the bleeding stopped. Pred dose had been increased from 11 to 25 for two days to avoid adrenal shock without having any affect on decreasing the Hip/back/ pain so i then knew it wasn’t a flare or tapering issue entirley.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.