POEM

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi, dear all,The lowest Sphincter of my esophagus is not functioning well so my doctor advised me to do a poem. I want to know how long do I have to stay in the hospital after a poem operation? If I am in NHS track how long do I have to wait?

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had the POEM surgery done in 2016 at the Univ. of Iowa Hospitals. I was told I might have to stay the next day but it they didnt expect more than that.

I ended up being the rare patient that had complications and was hospitalized for 3 weeks. I later found out the culprit of my infection was that I have a type of Leukemia. My compromised immune system allowed an infection to take over post op. Had we known that going into the surgery, I would have been prepared ahead of time and throughout with antibiotics.

I've read several cases where most all had success and short stays.

All said and done, even though I had complications, I would recommend it to anyone with Achalasia. I have enjoyed a good outcome and can now eat foods I couldn't before. I also enjoy a much better quality of life than I did prior to the procedure. God's Speed!

• Posted

I had HM in 2014 had swallowing issues and severe chest pain. The swallowing issues were better but the chest pain remained. in 2016 I returned to the Univ of Iowa because swallowing issues had returned and the. hest pain was still very high. They discovered through manometry that I had high pressures throughout the length of the esophagus. He called it "jack hammer esophagus".

I had the POEM surgery and for awhile experienced a bit of reflux until I developed new eating habits and times.

Now I eat more in the morning, tapering off as the day goes along and nothing to eat or drink after 7pm (other than the water I take my night time pills with).

The diet changes were mostly that I avoided or limited rough foods/raw veggies & heavy breads, carbonated drinks, caffeine and alcoholic beverages.

In 2019 my chest pain is much reduced and swallowing issues have improved. I am very happy that I had the surgeries. Achalasia is miserable.

Hope this helps. Be well. ♡

• Posted

HI, Greeka: thank you for sharing your reflection with us. I agree with you 100%. Several small tips from my side:1. keep your stomach part warm. 2. Drink ginger tea in the morning .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.