POEM, Per-Oral Endoscopic Myotomy, a new treatment for achalasia with no incision.

Posted , 15 users are following.

For all of you out there suffering from achalasia there is now a new non invasive treatment called POEM (Per-Oral Endoscopic Myotomy). I have been suffering from achalasia for over ten years however after having this treatment in Feb 2014 I have been trouble free ever since.

3 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had a POEM 4 months ago.  The choking is better but I have very frequent spasms and belching now.  They were infrequent before surgery.  Acupuncture helps me, and I am on diltiazem which helps some too.  Ativan pen helps the worst of the attacks.  I have had bread stuck twice since surgery.
    • Posted

Hi,

I have also had issues from the POEM (including excessive burping).  I'm glad I got it compared to the Heller, but I have had the same awful burning in my esophagus (The LES area) that I had before the surgery. I am on the strongest acid blocker dosage possible, and this does not help.  I'm not sure what is going on.  I had the surgery a month ago, so I am hoping this will clear up in time.  Best of luck.

• Posted

The procedure has probably had the effect of relaxing the lower oesophageal sphincter, the valve that stops stomach acid rising into your oesophagus.   A myotomy with a 'wrap' creates a form of valve to replace this function, whereas the POEM procedure may not.   So you are probably suffering extra acid that you did not have before because your sphincter was clamped too tight.   So you do need to report back to your medical team.   One of the things that they may want to test is whether any reflux is indeed acid rather than bile (which being an alkali won't be affected by anti-acod medication).   There are a number of different medications possible, the most common ones being PPI - proton pump inhibitors - like omeprazole that should stop the stomach creating the acid.
    • Posted

I have just had another thought - there is a Linx device available in some places.   This consists of the bracelet with magnetic beads that is places around the bottm of the oesophagus to re-create the valve effect.   But with a history of achalasia that may involve the sphincter being clamped tight, it would have been the last thing you would have wanted.   Gaviscon works differently, by creating a protective raft for a few hours, so you could try that also.
    • Posted

HI.

I am do to have manometry and expected to have achalasia.  Ive been reading everything about POEM I can.  Have your results been satisfactory, your post seems like you had trouble.

James V

USA

• Posted

Glad to hear of your success. This week I'm having this done. Little frightened, but will be glad to get off of liquids and may be enjoy drinking

water without choking and being able to eat around other folks. Thanks for your imput.

• Posted

Hi, it's a few years since this post but I hope this email will reach you. Are you still trouble free? Could you give me the name of your surgeon? I have struggled for 8 years and would love to be trouble free as you (hopefully still) are. Hoping to hear from you.

• Posted

Hello Alan,

Thanks for your message and sorry for the late reply.

I am happy to say I am still trouble free and very pleased that I went ahead and chose the POEM surgery, it has changed my life. Of course I still try and watch what I eat but so far so good.

I was lucky enough to be operated upon by Doctor Haruhiro Inoue who is the doctor behind the POEM procedure. I had the procedure here in Japan but he told me he travels all over the world teaching about POEM and performing operations.

I wish you all the best and hope you are lucky enough to find a good surgeon.

Kind regards

• Posted

So good to hear from you and congratulations on still being trouble free. Did you have any problems with acid reflux before/after? With Hellers Myotomy I understand they do the les wrap to limit the risk of reflux but I don't think they do it with POEM? Thanks again for your reply. I am seeing my gp in a couple of weeks about this and want to be as well informed as possible.

• Posted

I suffered from acid reflux from quite an early age but since the POEM procedure that problem has pretty much cleared up. I still have the odd bout but nothing like before the operation.

I hope all goes well for you.

• Posted

I had POEM in June 2015 for variant achalasia, which is high LES tone but with preserved esophageal peristalsis.  My swallowing is better, but I continue to battle with reflux since the procedure.  I sleep with head elevated, twice daily ppi's.  Overall a success but I wish the reflux wasnt quite as bad.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.