POEM procedure

Posted , 16 users are following.

Has anyone gotten a POEM done? My doctor suggested for me to get it done now that my my throat has been starting to close up again after my ballon dilation. I'm due for another dialation in the meantime as I wait to see the surgeon who specialIes in POEM procedure. My doctor said said that this as more success than all my other opinions with the downside being acid reflux.

0 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi i had a poem procedure done in 2015 . It has been good for eating but have just recently started getting spasms really bad in the last year. I was really ill before having the procedure as lost a massive amount of weight down to 6 stone and could just about take fluid . I am now a healthy weight but having trouble coping with these spasms. Talk to your surgeon about the spasms and hopefully he could give you some idea about them

• Posted

I recently Dec 27th had the Poem. I have Acalasia. My Esphagus is also very dilated. the surgery took 3 hours. My Dr. is a jewel. it was a difficult procedure in my case. Here it is Dec 30th Friday. I have minor sourness and pain. still on a liquad diet for a few more days. stomach is grumbling alot. I was only in the hospital 24 hrs The next morning I passed the swallow test and came home. Tramadol and Antibiotics. I'm just healing up. 😌

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.