POEM recovery period and chocolate

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi dear All,

My daughter had achalasia on 10/9 and on full liquid died for 2 weeks. Since this Sat, after she successfully finished up a piece of kitkat, she's been so much into eating it yesterday and today. She's eaten 10 piece of dove mint bites. This scares me cause I've heard it's not good for acid reflux and might create spasm. She, on the other hand, refusing to stop eating, maybe because that's the only solid that her mouth can touch. So difficult to let a teenager to listen to you. Any advice, experience, thoughts, anything would be appreciated.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I’m a bit lost. Are you saying you are concerned that she’s eating chocolate mints? If so, chocolate does cause heartburn but if she’s tolerating it I don’t know if it’s doung any harm. You said she had Alchalasia on the 9th. Are you suggesting that this is a flare up of some sort and was put on clear liquids for 2 weeks? If she has Alchalasia she’ll have to change her eating habits from here on out. It doesn’t just go away. Sorry. I just couldn’t understand what you are asking. 

DJRN

• Posted

Oops:-) No wonder I didn't get any respond until a brave one like u come out to point out my mistake, sorry for that. My thought run ahead of my typing, I guess. I meant to say that she had POEM on last Monday, 10/9. Thanks for getting back to me.🌻

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.