POEM Surgery

Posted , 40 users are following.

Hi, its been 14 months since i have had my POEM surgery and have been very happy with the results.  Is there anyone who has had it done longer than 2 to 5 days.  I am  curious to know if they had to repeat the surgery or do they contiue to be ok.  

1 like, 97 replies

97 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Wendy how has it been going my wife and I are in the consultation process of the poem surgery. She's had an extreme case of achalasia with esopigal spasms for over 5 years now. What a nightmare right? My concerns are the after effects with spasms and keeping food down. What's your current situation years after surgery.

• Posted

Hi Larry. I just wanted to jump on and say I had the POEM with Dr. Stavropolous at Winthrop in LI a little under a year ago. the hard thing about A is that we're all different, will react differently to surgery, and have no idea how long surgery will last and how bad reflux will be. I know how it feels to be where you and your wife are looking for answers, so I'll tell you how it's been for me considering I didn't have the complications your wife has and only had A symptoms for a year. Post-POEM I can eat most things fairly normally. It is a huge improvement and made me realize how much not being to eat negatively affected me and every aspect is my life. I still have a hard time with fruit, doughy bread, and some other stuff. I am not on PPIs and am managing my reflux with diet and Chinese herbs. I eat a pretty clean diet and don't drink, eat greasy or spicy foods. If so, I suffer from reflux. If I know I'm going to eat a lot or something greasy, I take a PPI beforehand and that generally works for me. I eat small

meals throughout the day. It is uncomfortable to bend over and lay down flat. I can feel fluid coming up like I'm going to throw up. However, I started doing yoga again and can hang upside down for a few seconds if I haven't eaten for awhile beforehand. I burp a lot still. If I eat too fast, I have LES pain like a spasm and the food gets backed up. I sleep 40 degees elevated. It took me about 6 months to dial

into what worked for me and my body to get used to my new normal. I also ate like a glutton for while since my

Relationship to food was so messed up and I had been starving for so long. I had awful reflux and spasms for a few weeks after surgery, which faded over time. So, there are life changes, which are unpleasant, but for me, there has been major improvement. I have gained almost 15 lbs. in a year and am stronger and much more "normal" feeling. I wish you and your wife the best of luck.

• Posted

Just an undate. I am 4+ months since my POEM, and I doing very good. My followup at Cleveland a couple of months agofor a mamometry, Barium swallow and an 24 hour PH test, all came back good, I do not have to go back for a year.

I am still on 20mg PPI per day, but I have not experienced any acid reflux(the 24 ph test showed only a slight increase in acid, when I was laying down).

I am just going to enjoy it for as long as it lasts

• Posted

My wife just had poem surgery two days ago. She seems to be better at eating but pain is still there along with some spasms. Is this normal and will the pain subside over time?
    • Posted

I was on a complete liquid diet for a week, before going to a full liquid diet for week two. After that I was able to start adding soft foods, for about another two weeks, before adding more "regular" food to my diet. I had some very minor spasms for about the first day after surgery, about in the middle of my esophagus, which was contributed to the  incision, which was about mid way down, to help with spasms.

• Posted

Hi Larry, I had in done last June I didn't have any pain and I also was on clear liquids for 2 weeks the full liquids then soft foods then regular food. I didn't have any problems till regular foods I had terrible acid attacks but my levels were very high 116 as most people have a reading of 25-40. My suggestion would just be when she starts eating normal foods again to eat her main meal at lunch and a very light dinner and sleep on multiple pillows. No food at all 4-6 hrs before bedtime. Just trying to help.

• Posted

Thanks Robert. They have us going a little faster than that. She's good with liquids and soft foods so far but she's had pain since she came out of anastegia.

• Posted

Does your wife have clips holding her incision closed? I had six. If she does they usually let go in 2-3 weeks but if she's eating regular food before they let go it could be dangerous. Please be careful !!!!

• Posted

There's two. Her doctor has her on soft foods already. It was two days liquid 2 days full liquids then soft foods that's where we are now.

• Posted

I'm not a doctor but I have been through it and if it were my wife I would ask firstly why only 2 and the rush is to get her on solid foods so fast. Look, I know how much it stinks having liquid meals it's bad but ... well I just will hope she's fine and like I said feel free if either of you have a question please ask. Is she on ppi meds for acid?

• Posted

Hi Larry,

I am happy your wife came through the surgery ok. Unfortunately, the pain takes a long time to decrease. Tell her not to worry about the surgical clips, they do not impede her recovery. My surgeon used 10 clips and as of Mar 3rd, they are still there, verified by x-ray prior to hopefully my last surgery on Mar 6th.

• Posted

Fay, I was not trying to panic them just simply give my opinion that I thought their doctor was rushing things a little. We know the clips let go when ready and go through your system but they are supposed to stay on until your healed , obviously if your 10 are still there. I had 6 myself . There is a reason why most doctors have their patients on a certain diet afterwards . Of course I wish no harm to anyway or want to worry anyone but not everyone knows more than what their doctor tells them . That's why Larry was asking for help and information. Larry, if you read this ask Alan about diet after POEM.

• Posted

I'm not panicked I'm finding that everyone's experience is different any where from just a sore throat to pain like what my wife is going thru. Her condition has always been extreme. We're taking it easy and we are seeing the surgeon again on Thursday. Food is able to go down without throwing up or getting stuck. That's almost a miracle in itself. The pain seems to be spasms and they are not constant. I am curious about the vast difference in when to start soft foods and regular foods.nthst vetoes by doctor. I think these doctors need to start sharing their experiences as well and try to come to a standard of care. Maybe one day we can all write a book. I'll keep youall posted and I appreciate all the feedback.

• Posted

Larry, please remember slow and steady wins the race. I'm sure she'll be fine . We may have different opinions on how things should be done but we all agree on what outcome we want for your wife and every member on here . To feel as good as they possibly can for as long as they can. She will be in my prayers

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.