POEM SURGERY WITHOUT INCISIONS

Posted , 8 users are following.

My huband John just had Poem surgery at UofM . No incisions. A new (2 years) surgery through the esophagus. Excellent Immediate results. No pain at all. His quality of life has improved 1000 percent. He almost died in December. Esophagus closed. Had a temporary Botox treatment which allowed him to eat some foods until surgery. Dr. Chang and Dr. Law, surgeon and gastro doctors performed the POEM. A remarkable professional staff. .So very Thankful!God Bless these great doctors!!

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Huge Congrats on your success cheesygrin

I had the same op at UCLH in November. They've only done 32 in the last 5 years (including mine). The only pain I suffered was from my muscles complaining as I wanted to use them again !

• Posted

Congratulations and Blessings to you too! John can now sleep flat on his back. No more fluids in his esophagus while he sleeps. No more night time caughing. No more elevated sleeping. No acid reflux. . Now eating steak and shrimp. We cut it up small, but his stomach feels full. Have not tried lettuce yet. So happy! We are back 100% to full physical activities. Hope you are too!
  • Posted

Hello - what is UofM? 

That’s great news my wife has had the HM 5 years ago and is doing very well 

• Posted

Big Blessings to her! Congratulations on 5 years. We are so Thankful! I highly recommend this to many people that struggle. What a fabulous improvement in quality of life.
    • Posted

UofM is University of Michigan. Located in Ann Arbor Michigan. Congratulations on your wife's great success.

• Posted

What is POEM surgery?

• Posted

Same type of op as HM, but instead of going in from the side they do it all via a tube down the throat. At UCLH it is done in the Upper GI dept and you can go home the next day. I was back on ALL normal foods after 2 weeks.
    • Posted

POEM means Peroral Endoscopic Myotomy. Our Gastro Surgeon inflated the esophogus with CO2, and clean and prepped it. The surgeon cut slices in the muscles to losen it near the bottom so food could pass down into the stomach. That is my leghmans terms and version, and I am not a Dr. or Nurse. No incisions. No pain. The incisions are cauterized so they do not bleed. New to UofM. . 2 years ago. While the Botox in December was a good temporary fix. Not permanent. It did save his life after he lost 30 pounds. Our Gastro Dr. In Marquette, MI referred us to UofM.
    • Posted

POEM = Peroral Endoscopic Myotomy. I am not a Dr. so do not quote me. Our Gastro Dr. Inflated the esophagus with CO2 and cleaned it out. The surgeon, cut slices in the muscles of the esophagus to relax the muscles allowing food to pass into the stomach. Johns was plugged at the bottom by the stomach. Then he cauterized them, thus, no bleeding. Johns food was getting stuck on the walls of the esophagus and would not pass down into the stomach. He vomited so much that he lost 30 pounds in 3 weeks. Our Marquette Gastro Dr. Gave him a temporary Botox treatment in the esophagus and referred us. This surgery used to ve completed by poking 5 holes in the stomach from the outside by scope. The new Process, POEM is completed with no incisions. Just down the esophagus. New at UofM within the past 2 years. Our family Physician did not know this existed. So we are thankful for the knowledge from our Gastro at UPHealth. Huge improvements. 0 pain. It is wonderful. We highly recomnend it. Our surgeons and staff were wonderful!
    • Posted

John went home the next day. 1 night stay after POEM. Actually, we ripped out flooring in my Mom's home the day after he came home. His full strength has returned.

• Posted

I had Botox injections and controlled my diet and I haven't had any episodes, that was April 2017. Thank God

• Posted

Congratulations. Botox was only a temporary repair for John. Each case is different. He can eat many more foods now and his stomach feels full. The 1st time in 3 months. He yummmmms at every bite of food. Very Thankful to be alive!! We now live without elevated sleeping and no fluids in the esopgagus while he sleeps. Congratulations on 5 years!
  • Posted

Congratulations! I am currently hoping that your husband's story becomes my own. Going to Northwestern and likely getting the POEM procedure done there.

• Posted

Best of Wishes Spencer! John even ate Country Spare ribs last night.Have a great surgery!! Full stomach to you!!
  • Posted

hi my partner has struggled for yrs and has had the botox bit not worked he is now waitin for the poem surgury he is worried has he is bodybuilder and personal trainer and worried after the op he may not return? cam anyone thats had it done returned to work n normal life thanku

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.