Poking pain under right rib

Posted , 4 users are following.

I don't know if this information will be helpful to anyone, but I'll tell you my story. I began having pain and what I perceived to be swelling in the upper right quadrant of my abdomen--like something was poking me in the ribs--in September of 2019. It would come and go and I could not figure out a correlation to anything, other than it always felt better after my daily workout. Saw a GI doctor and did an upper GI, colonoscopy, and ultrasound for liver/pancreas/gallbladder. Everything came back normal. Thankfully, one of my dearest friends is a PA and she wondered if it might be a food allergy or sensitivity. That made me reflect that our family often had gluten-free meals since my husband is gluten-free. I decided to go GF on my own and after two days--no joke--the pain/swelling were gone. Just to follow up, I went to a doctor of applied kinesiology to have certain foods tested and she confirmed that my body did not care for gluten, and in addition, dairy. Since cutting out gluten and dairy, I feel SO much better. (I do confess to sneaking some cheese once in a while and do end up paying for it.) I sincerely hope this helps...it is so stressful to be told everything is "normal" when one knows there is something amiss. God bless all of you!

2 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

Hi jackie930

That's great you found out you were gluten and dairy intolerant. I think all the patients on the forum who have pain, odd bowel movements, nausea and diahorrea should go down that road and get tested for food intolerances....

• Posted

No genuine doctor recommends those food intolerance tests because they are not 100% accurate and often tell people they are intolerant when they aren't. If you have a coeliac test you have to be eating gluten at the time for you to know if you have the illness otherwise it may not show up. It maybe there is a type of dairy or a type of carb which includes gluten like pasta that is giving you IBS, it doesn't mean you have to give it all up. I can't drink milk because it upsets my stomach, but I can have cheese and yoghurt but not to much. If you are lactose intolerant there is a lactose free range of milk and cheese that you may be able to tolerate. Giving up gluten for 2 days and feeling better is not very scientific, with an elimination diet, a doctor usually recommends you take out only one food group at a time, but for 2 weeks. Hormone changes can affect your digestive system and bowels so 2 weeks is a good enough time to see whether it is coincidental or potentially a problem. Cutting out a big food group like gluten can deprive you of a lot of vitamins and minerals you can get from various food types. Feeling better after such a short period of time could also be a placebo effect. I would recommend you speak to a dietician who can give you good nutritional advice because if you are going to cut out 2 big food groups out of your diet you may need to know how to get all of the nutrients you need.

• Posted

Thank you for all of the info! My daughter had food allergies so I know how difficult those isdues can be. 😦

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.