Poll: surgery regrets? Yay or nay....include why, if you like

Posted , 6 users are following.

With my own rectocele surgery only 3 months from now, I am curious if any of you ladies regret having the surgery?

Also if any of you feel the exact opposite I would LOVE positive stories!

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I don't regret having the surgery.. Its just not knowing what to expect..and how long recovery is?

• Posted

Do not regret surgery at all.

It was not a choice for me. The pain and discomfort were too much to bear.

As soon as I got out of bed in hospital I felt the difference. However when the internal anaesthetic wore off the pain of the surgery kicked in then I needed pain meds. Pain was managed very well. After coming off all meds was still sore but this was cystocele pressing on urethra. 

I am now 7 months after posterior repair and I have no pain now even though I am 2 weeks after anterior repair. I had no real pain after recent surgery but still sore. BM s can be challenging but laxido, magnesium citrate worked for me.

Surgery was a breeze both times. If I had questions about recovery I found the answers in online forums like this one.. so read the postings online.

After surgery rest, rest, rest for first weeks to protect repair.

Best wishes for a positive outcome.

• Posted

HI , I’ve just turned 38 and have had this every just over 5 weeks ago.

I do not regret it at all and toileting etc is back to normality since the operation.

I really can not stress how much rest and help isn’t needed for recovery.

My mum is still coming to help me with shopping and my toddler.  Things like not being able to put her in the car seat etc. My mum and mum in law having her while husband is at work so I’m not having to lift her etc .

So hard to go from fully active to not much but you really must. It’s driving me insane.

Things like bending down and getting washing in and those chores etc.  I’ve found it really hard to let everyone take over in the house as it’s never done right 😆 Hubby is actually ironing every Sunday (in a fashion) 🤣

But it’s only for a few more weeks. I have had 9 weeks off work , I go back for one day and then it’s half term for a week so be around 10 weeks. I couldn’t inagine being ready to go back after 6.

Hope all goes well with your surgery

• Posted

HI , I’ve just turned 38 and have had this every just over 5 weeks ago.

I do not regret it at all and toileting etc is back to normality since the operation.

I really can not stress how much rest and help isn’t needed for recovery.

My mum is still coming to help me with shopping and my toddler.  Things like not being able to put her in the car seat etc. My mum and mum in law having her while husband is at work so I’m not having to lift her etc .

So hard to go from fully active to not much but you really must. It’s driving me insane.

Things like bending down and getting washing in and those chores etc.  I’ve found it really hard to let everyone take over in the house as it’s never done right 😆 Hubby is actually ironing every Sunday (in a fashion) 🤣

But it’s only for a few more weeks. I have had 9 weeks off work , I go back for one day and then it’s half term for a week so be around 10 weeks. I couldn’t inagine being ready to go back after 6.

Hope all goes well with your surgery

• Posted

Hi DlionMomma

Like the other girls I don’t regret the surgery at all. I had quite a few  other things done as well ( 9 weeks ago) so hard to separate out the rectocele only. The bowel is functioning much more effectively now so that is great for your morale too.

The recovery is slow so you need a lot of patience.  I found lying on side reduced pressure on op site and did not sit for about 6 weeks.

In hospital ask for stool softeners as soon as you start eating and don’t panic if your BM takes about 4 days to get going again. I had a lot of back and hip pain having been in that exposed position for a long while during op. A short hair lambskin was just sooo good. The pain sometimes deep in your butt muscles due to stitches with rectocele settled after about a week for me.

Just call on lots of help you deserve it and you will be fine. 

Don’t rush going back to work healing and then strengthening takes longer than is often written. There are no prizes for short cutting the healing process only repeat surgery.

Best wishes Peta

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.