Polycystic Ovaries Syndrome and Pregnancy

Posted , 3 users are following.

After not having my period for three months I went to my GP. I have had regular blood pressure and my BP is fine. I was referred for an ultrasound. From 2015, so far I have had the two months if my period. everything the same as before. This week I was diagnosed with mild POS. The cyst in my ovaries are less than 10cm. My GP said it's not severe but pregnancy may be difficult.

Although I am only 20 I would like to conceive in the future. I don't know if I should go on treatment even though I have been receiving my periods so far. I am only in this. Please help.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I also have mild PCOS. Pregnancy naturally is hard. I have been wanting a baby with my husband for about two years. I had been put on Metformin 1500MG. GET ON THIS. It will help the weight you can gain with PCOS, and help get rid of cysts. You have to take it EVERYDAY, and if you get pregnant while on it, STAY ON THE SAME DOSE THROUGHOUT, DO NOT STOP OR CHANGE DOSE. Metformin also has some positives while pregnant. People with PCOS are more prone to misscarriage. This will lower the risk, and will help some complications from happening. When you start Metformin you should start on 500Mg. Increase the dose every week and a half by another 500mg until you get to 1500mg. This is so your body can adjust right to the meds. If you get pregnant before getting to 1500, stay at the dose you are on, do not increase. Metformin is known to people with PCOS as a miricle pill. Though while getting used to it, you will have liquid stools... and nauseation. this is normal. Not all get this but most do. this will go away completely at around a week of this pill. Its fast and worth it. Let me know what you think. Thanks!
    • Posted

My period at the moment is regular. It seems to be following at pattern, whereas before it just came whenever. It wasn't until last year when I didn't get it for 3 months that's why I went to the GP. But it came back. This happens at the end of the year. Because in 2013 I had all my periods until December. I missed one month but it came back the next month.

I also don't want to gain weight I would like to lose weight instead.

Even though am not trying for a baby now. How is the medication working for you? And what's your experience been like with POS.

I have a appointment with my GP to discuss treatment.

• Posted

Hi

I have polycyclic ovaries., and endometriosis too me and my partner were trying for a baby for 2 years. But I had no periods for a year.

Saw gp and was referred to hospital. The consultant then gave me an option of ovarian drilling sounds bad but wasn't that bad.

They did 6 holes in each ovary. Meaning that 6 rggs are released instead of 1.this was an NHS Treatment. And only day surgery.

But wow what an operation I was pregnant within 2 weeks and am was blessed to give birth in June 2014. I would definitely recommend this procedure it's amazing.

• Posted

Hey

Congratulations. I guess having POS doesn't mean I can't get pregnant. I am just a kind of person who worries a lot and thinks of the worst.

Since having the operation how's your period been and are you still able to get pregnant again? Does the 6 holes in each ovary mean a possibility of multiple birth?

By the way what is endometriosis?

• Posted

No it definitely doesn't mean u can't get pregnant. There is so much out there to help you.

Since surgery they went back to normal for 6 months. But now started going a but haywire again. But yeah I Could still have more children if I wanted but may need operation again if they stop altogether again.

By drilling six holes did give me a chance of multiple birth but I had an early scan to check.

Endometriosis is a skin growing on the ovary can make it hard to get pregnant can sometimes cause pain.

But look at it this way I had both and still had a baby so I'm sure u will be fine

• Posted

Alright. 

You have benn very helpful and put me at ease. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.