Polymalgia Rheumatica and feet cramping

Posted , 13 users are following.

I am experiencing my feet cramping daily. Not debilitating but painful at times. I know I have read about this and it seems like Magnesium was the answer offered. I get some mag in Calcium tab I take (500 Cal., 80 magnesium, 800 Vit D) Is this enough and am I even remembering this right?  i have had PMR 2 years and am at 5.5mg. Pred. Is the cramping a result of the disorder or from Prednisone? Thank you.

1 like, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Mineral and other supplements should only be taken when

1) you have had a blood test, full spectrum and asked for minerals to be included

2) you have talked to your pharmacists about compatibility.

I was prescribed Calichew  when first diagnosed and ran into problems later on  - I developed pseudo-gout and it was caused by calcium crystals,  I had not needed the extra calcium

I had a Dexa Scan at six months into pred and it showed 97% bone density,  I had a Dexa scan every two years till I reached Club Zero, the last scan still showed 97% bone density.  We are all different.

Lesson learned, check, check and check. 

• Posted

Good point. I have experienced bone loss--although this pre-dated Pred-- and am supposed to be on Calcium for that. I had a parthyroidectomy which also means I am needing to be on Calcium in addition to what I get in diet. I am not concerned about the Calcium~ I am wanting to know how to get rid of foot cramps at this stage.
  • Posted

Ditto to what all said, less cramping than higher Pred, but mostly in morning when I wake up and while still in bed I stretch head to toe and darn if it doesn't make my calves cramp! I have to get out of bed and stretch them for about 20 seconds. 

Sometimes while watch tv for a while and I squeeze my toes, they cramp! 

I had had odd finger twitching and when I stretched then relax  my feet would 

• Posted

Oops... My feet would move away from my body, as if pointing...all on their own!  It was weird!  But went away. Freaky stuff. 
    • Posted

Yes that is weird, isn't it? Toes all distorted. Creepy. I have little toe separators that help sometimes when I put them in in the evening. The cramping is something I had experienced before but not this frequently or severely. I didn't know if it was related to PMR or Pred.
  • Posted

I had the foot cramps before I was diagnosed with PMR.  In the a.m.

I'd stretch and jump right out of bed with awful cramps in my feet.

It still happens ocasionally but bearable.

One thing that my daughter has researched endlessly is the fact

that we should be taking plant based calcium.  She sent me

a link that talks about how bad regular calcium can be for you.

It can cause kidney stones and some problem with the heart.

Calcium is not one of those things that the body throws off the

excess.  I'm going to look and get the link for you all.

• Posted

I'm back....

If you are interested in the plant based calcium Amazon has

several options.

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link as it was to a site unsuitable for inclusion in the forums but also it went to a page not found. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

...a quick fix for cramping is Cream of Tartar -used in baking but if you dunk your pinky tip into the container and put it on yur tongue - i am told it is instant relief!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.