Polymyalgia and Statins

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi everyone read last night on the forum that there maybe a connection between polymyalgia and taking statins especially Simvastation which apparently has listed it on their leaflet I have been on them for 25yrs since having a stroke when I was 47 I'm now 72 never had a problem taking this was just interested to see how many people who have had polymyalgia were taking statins at the time I take altrovistatin.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I've been on statins for years. Even before my stroke. And of course not I have recruit been diagnosed with PMR. But that was like maybe 10 years after starting the statins.

• Posted

I was on simvastatin prior to PMR diagnosis. I went off them thinking the muscle pain was caused by them. No change except my cholesterol went up! Back on simvastatin, and down to 1/2 mg prednisone! Feeling fine.
  • Posted

I do believe my PMR is due to statin drug as I had no problem until after being on statin drug.  I was prescribed and taking 80mg a day of Lipitor (a very high dose of statin) drug.  A much higher dose than most people.   Took it for about 3  weeks. Was adviced by three doctors to get off it and never take it again when I immediately suffered from cramping and swollen and painful ankles.  After reading Dr. Gravelines book, "The Statin Damage Crisis", I believe it acurately describes my condition.    As he states the possibility of the statin changing the DNA componet which damages rather than rebuilds the muscle.  So it is not about the drug still being in your system but what changes did it do to your DNA.  I believe I was helped greatly by the advice of a cellular physisist to detox my liver and feed my body good nutritional food, while avoiding as much toxic foods as possible.  Since doing that, I have been able to get off prednisone now for four weeks.  I have no pain, minimul swelling, and overall good health.  I felt that to detox and feed on fruits and vegetables could hurt, even if I didn't see good results in my PMR.  

• Posted

I have never taken statins but I suffer with pmr.

Is it possible that because statins are given out to so many that there appears to be a link? But maybe it's just that so many take them?

I'm no expert... Just a thought xx

• Posted

There is a link - muscle and joint pain is one of the side effects. I only know that Lipitor nearly had me in a wheelchair after a week on half dose - I already had PMR but I had NEVER felt as ill with PMR even without pred!
    • Posted

Hi Eileen I never had scle pain with the atorvastatin has I said been on it 25 yrs and only diagnosed with PMR July but the pain and stiffness from that was horrendous and some days I could hardly move and couldn't pick my right arm up but within 24hrs of taking predisilone it was almost gone and I havnt had any breakthrough pain but lots of side effects be glad when I am on very low dose 

• Posted

There are many examples of 'possible' connections between Statins and Polymyalgia but I appear to have the full set. Following a mild heart attack, I took Lipitor for four years without problems but was suddenly overwhelmed by random leg muscle aches leaving me unable to climb stairs or rise from  a chair without my legs giving way. I gave up golf, gardening and driving. 

My doctor agreed for me to stop the Lipitor and I recovered full mobility within three months. Then one night I had a headache, painful neck muscles and very sensitive areas on my head, like bruises. It proved to be the beginning of Temporal Artritis for which I am now on 60 mg of Steroids daily and I just had urgent biopsy to confirm how serious my infection is.

I am in no doubt that there is a link between the Lipitor via Polymyalgia to Temporal Artritis, and basically the Statins are responsible for all of it.

I am 75 and will resist all suggestions that I commence Statins again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.