Polymyalgia and walking difficulties

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi I have just been dyognosed with having polymyalgia after being in serious pain for nine months, I have been put on 15mg of steriods. The pains in shoulders, hips and thighs have now gone but I still cannot walk at any nnormal speed or uphills without my legs muscles tightning up, does anyone else have this problem with PMR 

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Ann. 

Started on Pred just before Christmas and started a walking regime in January. Started walking about a mile 3 times a week and now have built up to walking 4 or 5 hilly miles a day. At first my legs would ache as I had lost so much muscle and the first time I attempted a hill I got shin splints. My hips still ache but that is my marker if you like. If they get worse I cut down the walking. I am just starting to (slowly) do some work on my upper body strength which has disappeared over the last year with this PMR thing but I know it will be a slow job.

My advise would be to exercise as much as you can BUT listen carefully to your body. This whole thing is a balancing act between exercise, pain and Pred dose.

All the best

Ron

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.