Polymyalgia - problems walking downhill

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have had polymyalgia for 2 1/2 years now. I started on a 15 mg dose of Prednisolone In November 2009 and am now taking (June 2012) a dose of 4 mg Prednisolone daily. So I am making progress with reducing the steroid that I take. However, during the last 12 months I am finding it increasingly difficult to walk down slopes/hills. I can walk along the flat and uphill without any problem but when I reach a slope downhill I freeze and feel that if I am not very careful and go very slowly I will lose control and go hurtling down too fast and possibly fall. Has anybody else experienced this problem whilst taking steroids? I suspect that the steroid may have weakened the muscles in my legs, particularly the muscles at the front of my thighs (quadriceps muscles) and that this is affecting my "breaking system". Can anyone provide me with a possible answer as to why I am having this difficulty walking downhill? And if you have experienced problems walking downhill, have you found anything to improve this, such as physio exercises for quadriceps muscles, any other particular form of exercise e.g. walking on treadmill or swimming, orthotics etc?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

not sure which country you are from but if uk your dr can arrange a physio assesment which in turn would give you the advice re appropiate exercises , i am sure you are experiencing pmr/steroid fallout but any new symptoms are worth discussing with your gp , for me its uphill and stairs !!! thank god for lifts carolk
  • Posted

Yes I feel same as carolk that if I was in your place then I ought to contact physio for therapeutically designed exercises and start taking them quick. If I take any exercise action on my own, I may end up in causing aggravated pain.
  • Posted

Yup - sounds very like steroid-induced muscle wasting and that'll affect your balance. Down is always worse then.

You need a physio who is aware of the problems with exercise in PMR, it must be appropriately tailored to the restrictions and heavy-duty hands on stuff is to be avoided. Off to the GP and discuss it with them!!

Eileen

• Posted

I have the exact same problem as you but I have not been on steroids.

Can you advise did you get any helpful results.

• Posted

I doubt you will get a reply - this thread is over a year old and the person who started it has never returned.

If you have such problems you should ask your doctor about being referred for physiotherapy.

• Posted

Did you take care of this problem! Do you still have. I can't walk down slopes and don't know what it is! Thanks! Need answers.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.