Polymyalgia rheumatica prednison increased blood pressure

Posted , 15 users are following.

Anybody else experience increased bloodpressure due to prednison pmr

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

it is listed as one of the side effects..

Prednisone side effects

Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction to prednisone: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.

Call your doctor at once if you have:

blurred vision, eye pain, or seeing halos around lights;

swelling, rapid weight gain, feeling short of breath;

severe depression, feelings of extreme happiness or sadness, changes in personality or behavior, seizure (convulsions);

bloody or tarry stools, coughing up blood;

pancreatitis (severe pain in your upper stomach spreading to your back, nausea and vomiting, fast heart rate);

low potassium (confusion, uneven heart rate, extreme thirst, increased urination, leg discomfort, muscle weakness or limp feeling); or

dangerously high blood pressure (severe headache, blurred vision, buzzing in your ears, anxiety, confusion, chest pain, shortness of breath, uneven heartbeats, seizure).

• Posted

Hello Ida, I have had high blood pressure for many years, I have had 3 reading done since diagnosis in Nov 2018 and they have been the lowest ever. I did go on the anti inflammation diet and have lost 8 kgs. So that must be the reason why.

Increased blood pressure is listed as a side effect.

I do hope yours will not increase any further.

• Posted

Yes, and didn't realize it was related.  Went to the ER with BP nearing 200 in the middle of the night.

That was at the beginning of my PMR journey 10 months ago.

In my life time (I'm 70) my blood pressure has always run very low.  PMR and prednisone have changed things - it has been running high. Have cut out salt, and managed a few other diet changes, too. 

My doctor has me keep a BP chart to give him each visit.  

MariGrace

• Posted

yes I’ve been on Preds for over 2 yrs & have had raised blood pressure sugar levels which my Dr says is caused by the prednisolone. 

• Posted

My BP has always been fine but it increased with Pred but not enough to require meds. I don't put any salt in food apart from a little in meats which I cook. I never add it to veg and we don't normally have salt at the table. I did have some fluid retention at the end of the day  it has gone now I am on 3mgs. I think you will find the BP reduces as the Pred does. 

• Posted

Mine went up while on Pred. but returned to normal ( 127/72  which my GP says is fine for an eighty something.)

He did put me on a 24 hour monitor and it showed I was ok while asleep. Not sure what that indicated but did not have to take any pills.

• Posted

Your BP should fall overnight and there is something wrong if it doesn't. Or it might do too low...

• Posted

It is a common listed side effect and something any GP should be checking every 3 to 6 months at most. if it gets too high it needs medication to calm it down.

Some people develop raised BP due to the inflammation in PMR/GCA making the artery walls thicker and the inside of the artery becoming narrower as a result. These patients then experience their BP going down on pred!

• Posted

Hi Ida I always had low blood pressure 120/60 and have not thought about until I read what you had put on this forum, I took my blood pressure three times this evening, it was 167/64 not sure if I should just see how it goes. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

• Posted

That's a bit concerning.  I also have low blood pressure, I think, and the only time my blood pressure was taken by my current doctor was when after several months of pred I complained about irregular heart beat and lightheadedness, about 2.5 years ago.  She didn't note anything wrong.  I did stick my arm in one of those sleeves in a supermarket pharmacy a few months ago and it seemed okay. eek

• Posted

My Blood Pressure and Blood Glucose both went up. My Doctor said it was due to the Prednisone and that I should watch the salt and carbs. I hope this helps.

C

• Posted

My blood pressure has gone up and down, depending upon whether I have been active or resting for a while.  I started taking my BP at least once a day, sometimes three, at different times and the results were much lower after resting for an hour or so.  Measurements varied from 160/78 to 122/70 or lower.  Because of that I decided not to take meds. 
    • Posted

That is normal - BP should always be taken after resting quietly or at least 10-15 mins.
  • Posted

Hi, I am on Prednisolone and yes I have developed high blood pressure and sugar levels.

I have been on this medication for 4yrs.

Stay strong ☺

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.