Polyp in womb advice

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi all,

Not sure if I've posted this in the correct category, couldn't really find one it was appropriate for. Apologies if so and if you can guide me to the right topic to post this on.

I had a copper coil replaced after 10 years in June last year, all went fine but then when i had it fitted the doctor said i had a small polyp on my cervix, they used to be able to remove them there and then but said now they have to refer everyone to the hospital for it. I had a colposcopy done and it turned out it was just a cyst that burst whilst there, everything was normal but she said my coil looked like it wasn't sitting right and protruding out of my cervix, she suggested i go back to the sexual health clinic to have this looked at and possibly removed.

The next day i went the SH clinic and i was told it was fine and to 'go about my life' but something was niggling me, if they seen it with the torch at the colpscopy surely it may not be sitting right. I asked my GP for an ultrasound to check and I had that done at the end of October. She said there and then it was half hanging out and needed to be removed that day, she gave me a full ultrasound internally and said I also had a septate uterus. I was alright with this news and had no intention/have no kids anyway. She also said I had a polyp approx 6mm. They would refer me for a scan in 6 months for another check up/ultrasound before they determine what to do.

My mum managed to get me an appointment at the Gynae hospital last minute, as that's where she works and a good consultant put me under her, I seen her in December (this felt very rushed, i appreciate this was seen significantly faster than others would have but i have very severe health anxiety and tbh i wasn't worried about the polyp or the septate uterus, i didn't really have any questions etc and i was happy to just wait the 6 months for a follow up scan and put it to the back of my mind) but i seen her quickly and she told me she would arrange for another internal ultrasound to be done after my next period and if the polyp is there i'll need a hysteroscopy. She is also unsure that it is 100% a polyp, said it could be something else/something of no concern and be gone by my next period and that's why she wants to scan again.

Well i have the scan happening tomorrow and I am fretting quite alot, i am really hoping the polyp has gone, or whatever it is on the scan originally, I really do not want the hysteroscopy. I don't want to go alseep for it either, i've never had an operation/GA before and i am terrified. I've read awful scary stories online and i really don't think i can go through with it if i need one. Do i actually need one?! This polyp, if it is there, isn't causing me any issues, my periods normal, no bleeding etc, i was totally oblivious of having it, if it is there. It wasn't the reason for my US, it was purely for a check of the coil and i've came away with a polyp and a septate uterus 😄

Any advice would be welcome and also what to expect re the hysteroscopy, if there are any alternatives, can this polyp just be left alone? After looking up online it's saying small polyps can just go away and often need no treatment, it seems unreasonable to me to make me go through a hysteroscopy when i'm not having any issues or symptoms with the polyp, would i be right in saying that?

I also appreciate there are alot of people waiting a very long time to see a gynae consultant regarding their issues and i really don't want to seem ungrateful that i've been seen so quickly but in my mind it feels like a waste because now things are moving more quickly and i know she suggested removing it via hysteroscopy when i seen her, but i'd have been in ignorant bliss for another 6 months at least before anything was due to happen, but now it feels like it's going to be quickly if the scan comes back as a polyp.

I am 35, no kids, not menopausal.

Thanks so much

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.