Pompholyx eczema?

Posted , 6 users are following.

For the past 7 weeks I have had very itchy, sore, dry hands and feet (palms and soles). I went to to doctors a couple of weeks and she told me I have pompholyx. She just handed me a internet print out about it and gave me a prescription for steroid cream. The pharmacy told me the cream was now unavailable and gave me an over the counter one. I used this along with diprobrase and had no improvement. 

I went back to the doctors today as I am unable to work ( I am self employed) and sometimes find it hard to walk because of the soles of my feet are cracked and very sore. Not to mention the itching keeps me awake at night. I also told her that I now have red sore patches on my legs and arms. 

She told me its just eczema (never mentioned pompholyx). I asked about possible allergy and blood tests and was told they don't do them just for eczema. 

She suggested I may have a reaction to the plastic materials I work with, but I have been working with the same stuff for ten years now.  

I asked if I am just meant to guess what I am having a reaction too and she said yes rolleyes

I was prescribed Betnovate and told to get some Piriton allergy tablets.

At the end she suggested I see another doctor who knows more about skin problems but I can't get an appoinment with him until 2 weeks time. 

I am sorry for so much text, I am at my wits end. The itch is driving me insane, I can't sleep and it is stressing me out as I cannot do any work (no work = no income).

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks you x

0 likes, 5 replies

Report / Delete

5 Replies

  • Posted


    change of doctor sounds good. My doctors immediately saw the state of my hands and feet,like you mine were sore, painful and stops me doing quite of the daily tasks, I am lucky I don't work,I am retired. My advise is to take a antihistamine tablet at night, plenty of moisturiser , use the betnovate but I think you my need something stronger. My doctor got me an appointment with the hospital, which I am still under. I have had PUVA treatment for 11 sessions. Good luck


    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    I have this type of excema one my fingers and have found that Elocon Cream which is a prescription only potent steriod has worked well. I'm not a huge fan of these creams as they have made a different type of eczema on other parts of my body ultimately get a lot worse. However, for this type it worked well -  cleared the eczema in a week and now needs minimal top ups a couple of times a week. It's worth trying the Piriton at night as it dampens down the nightime itch and lets you sleep better. You would have to get Elocon - Mometasone Furoate from your GP however as its not an over the counter med.

    Can you use non latex surgical gloves to work in? Just in case you have become allergic. Are you male or female and how old? .

    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      Oh yes sorry, I should of included that. I'm female, 31 years old.

      I have tried to use gloves when working but it slows me down a lot and I worry it impairs the quality of my work..

      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    The reason I was asking about age and gender is that these skin things are often hormone related but possibly not at your age. I think you need a strong steroid to treat what you are suffering from, there are also lots of other treatments. If the next GP is not knowledgable about skin conditions ask to be referred to a Dermatologist. It is possible to become allergic to substances after many years but if you use a barrier cream (Diprobase will act as this) this should protect you. Anyway if its your job you cant just avoid the materials you use, and there is no resaon to assume that this is a contact dermatitis. Good luck
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Hi endless,

    Sorry you are going through this. I'm no expert, but the chemicals you work with could be causing it, for example people go through their whole lives eating shellfish and then one day they can become allergic!

    I would go back to your GP and say I am not leaving without a referral. Be calm and just refuse to leave. They can refer you to what they think is best, probably a dermatologist, and hopefully things will get rolling from that point onwards. You have a right to have your condition investigated and resolved. Can't believe your GP told you you must guess!

    Do you have private medical? They tend to not mind referring to private as much.

    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up