Pompholyx Eczema after Athletes Foot

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all. Please can someone help?

About 5 weeks ago i developed really severe athletes foot - now not ever having athletes foot before this was really shocking to me. The doctor prescribed Canesten HC cream and erythromycin - as i am allergic to penicillin and it is now beginning to feel normal again. The problem is now that i seem to have developed the same as what was on my foot on my right hand. I went back to the doctors and he gave me Fucibet cream and told me to continue to take the erythromycin - but i've only been able to take 2 of these a day rather than the prescribed 4 as they were makiing the side of my face burn. The condition has just been getting worse and worse and when i went back to the doctors the beginning of the week she told me to keep using the cream, prescribed another lot of erythromcin and some dermol handwash/moisteriser cream and suggested i wear a cotton glove to bed. The doctors haven't diagnosed it as Pompholyx Eczema but after extensive research on the internet this is what i'm 99% sure it is. I have got a few blisters developing on my other hand and am absolutely terrified it's going to spread like wild-fire. The blisters on my right hand are all over my fingers, palm and beginning to go to the base of my wrist and between my thumb and finger towards the back of my hand. The ones on my palm seem to be merging together and are quite pus filled. My other problem is that after applying the Fucibet cream is does look really red and angry, my fingers seem to swell a bit more and is drawing liquid out. Is this a good thing or is it as i suspect and that is i am allergic to the Fucibet cream?

Any advice would be gratefully recieived or indeed and cures, either by prescription or natural cures or self help.

Please, please i am desperate as it is now making everyday chores almost impossible and even using the computer is agonising sad

Thank you in advance.. 

0 likes, 85 replies

85 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi all.

The infection is definately getting worse and today my right hand is bound up and blisters are appearing rapidly on my left hand now so it's defo back to the doctors on Monday. Feeling so so itchy, sore and swollen and it's making me feel very down in the dumps and tearful sad

• Posted

I'm sorry things are getting worse Mazria, try pushing for a Dermatology referral when you see your GP.  It is very draining having to go through something like you are going through.

Good luck on Monday & let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply mrsmop.

I shall be on the phone to them as soon as they open tomorrow.

Definately been multiplying overnight on my left hand now. I am really desperate to get something done about it tomorrow sad

I'll keep in touch.

• Posted

Hi all.

Went back to docs yesterday and he's said to stop using the Fucibet and has now prescribed Doxycycline - 2 a day and to go back next Monday and to keep using the Dermol lotion. I've only taken to tablets so far and it has made my hands so dry and painfully itchy. The Dermol lotion is too runny to use as a daily moisturiser, can anyone suggest anything else I can use during the day? Night time isn't too bad as I can plaster it on put the cotton gloves on and leave it at that

• Posted

Hi Mazria, any moisturiser would be appropriate, I think the derms recommend E45.  I use Nivea because it suits me & I like it

I know they use Doxycycline & it helps but it could well be for a longer term than a week.

I also use the inshower Nivea moisturiser, which helps my skin

• Posted

Thank you mrsmop. I did have E45 in mind but don't want to agravate anything further! The dermol lotion just seems to absorb too quickly, no sooner i put it on my hands are dry again sad 
    • Posted

I don't think the E45 will upset anything, the Dermatologists are used to chopping & changing drugs/creams etc..

When my hands were particularly dry, I would slather cream on them, then put them in vinyl gloves!  [can't use latex]  I do the same with my feet & put them in polythene bags for half an hour or so.

• Posted

Sorry to disagree, E45 has Lanolin in which is a known irritant for some people.
    • Posted

Ok Bellla, so do you have any suggestions of a really good moisteriser for my extremely dry sore hands?

• Posted

That's tricky. If it's TSW, it's said the skin can't tolerate anything at its height. If it's ACD you'd need to find out the trigger through patch testing.

You really need to find the cause in order to know.

• Posted

Looking at a different site last night, I would say that the athletes foot wasn't athletes foot in the first place, it was pompholyx eczema that developed on my foot after friction. I think I'll try and push the doctor for a dermolotogy referral. I have made enquiries about going private and although it's expensive it maybe the way to go to try and get to the root of the problem.

More skin came off palm in night, the skin that comes off is about 2-3 mm thick and my palm is stingy sore this morning.

• Posted

I think you are wise Mazria & your hands need dressing properly too, you don't need an infection on top of everything else.

Sometimes going Privately can help because with the right Consultant, s/he can fast track you into his NHS clinic.

I know that Derms use Doxycycline, I was on it for 18 months & whatever else it does it helps keep infection at bay.

Good luck & do let us know how you get on.

• Posted

WARNING - PART EXPLICIT CONTENT NEAR END

Hi all.

Just an update to start with - day 5 of the Doxycyline antibiotics and there is a slight improvement. Whether this is down to the change of antibiotics or stopping the use of the Fucibet cream, who knows!

My right palm feels like a load of superglue has been poured into it, it is so tight and i can hardly straighten it.

My left hand still has blisters appearing, but no sooner they appear they are drying to little bumps.

Both hands are like bark/leather and earier on when i was making my lunch the spring onions made them feel really prickly, even though i had vinyl gloves on sad

Due back to the doctors on Monday and i am hoping that they may give me another course of the same antibiotics to knock it on the head.

One embarrasing question i do have though...

I seem to have a lump, the size of a grape just inside my bum and 2 smaller pea size lumps on one side of my labia. Is this to do with this eczema or a reaction of the antibiotics or what ?? 

• Posted

Went doctors today, thaey have given me another weeks worth of the Doxycycline and Zeroderm ointment to use as a hand cream so it should have more staying power than the Dermol lotion. Being referred to a dermotogist - the answer to that was see how the next week on antibiotics go first!
    • Posted

Goodness, they are very resistant to referral, aren't they?  And even if they referred you yesterday, it is likely to be a long time before you were seen.

• Posted

Hello Mazria. What you are suffering sounds horrendous. It would cost about £250 to see a consultant dermatologist. Phone BUPA on demand – 0333 920 0720 and ask them for an appointment without a referral. They will probably get you one for next week if not sooner. I have found GPs are very reluctant to refer. Something to do with budgets I think. I used BUPA on demand myself and found them very helpful. You can google it. All the best. Patrick.
    • Posted

Sadly Patrick, it is to do with a shortage of Dermatologists budgets are incidental.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.